Cubicle 7 Forum Closing

All the Cubicle 7 news
Dom
Site Admin

Cubicle 7 Forum Closing

Post by Dom » Fri May 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi everyone

You’ve probably had a load of emails about the new data protection legislation, GDPR. Companies operating in the EU are working to make sure they comply with its requirements before they come into effect on 25th May 2018.

We’ve just concluded our own review in preparation for the legislation, and mostly we passed with flying colours. The area which is high risk for us is this forum as we don’t have the resources to effectively manage it in line with the rules of the GDPR. I have taken the difficult decision to close the forum as of the 24th May 2018.

I appreciate that this is very disappointing for our regular users. If you all agree to move to a different forum together, let us know and I can make sure that C7 staff drop in. Facebook and Twitter are good places to keep in touch too.

Also, if there is any user-created content that you would like to keep, please save it by the 24th May – sorry for the short notice, it’s been a complicated thing to work our way through.

Thanks for your support

Dom

P.S. You can find out more about GDPR here – https://www.eugdpr.org/
Dominic McDowall
CEO - Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd

Rich H

Re: Cubicle 7 Forum Closing

Post by Rich H » Fri May 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Wow, that's disappointing news, Dom. Especially for those that don't like using Facebook due to its many issues well covered in the press.

Such a shame for this very friendly and active community.

Will the current threads still be viewable so we can access them for historic information, etc or do we need to download anything we want ASAP?
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318

Dom
Site Admin

Post by Dom » Fri May 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Unfortunately not, it all has to be taken down. It is very disappointing, but we have to comply with the new legislation. If there is another forum that people like, we could move these discussions there?
Dominic McDowall
CEO - Cubicle 7 Entertainment Ltd

Farath

Post by Farath » Fri May 18, 2018 3:14 pm

I visit this forum several times daily. It’s the only forum I use that often and regularly. Not that I did post that often here but I read a lot and it has been a great source for inspiration. For me this decision is a desaster.

CapnZapp

Post by CapnZapp » Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 pm

Dom wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:05 pm
Unfortunately not, it all has to be taken down. It is very disappointing, but we have to comply with the new legislation. If there is another forum that people like, we could move these discussions there?
The obvious site that's used to handling high traffic is RPG.NET and its "Roleplaying Open" subforum, where all of C7's games should be "on topic" (except Adventurers In Middle-Earth):
https://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php? ... aying-Open

(For Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, there's the Strike to Stun forums of course, but I don't see how it is in Cubicle 7's interest to endorse a place nowadays run by the Zweihander guy, giving him and his game any more attention than he's already got. Personally I will keep visiting StS but I'd prefer to keep it as an entirely unofficial "home away from home" second place to discuss WFRP)

Kullervo

Post by Kullervo » Fri May 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Very sad bit of news... It was always great to go onto C7 forums and see people discussing a game we all enjoy and the various new and innovative ways they played it. But, cant help it I guess - wherever you guys all move to I'll follow!

Ghal Maraz

Post by Ghal Maraz » Fri May 18, 2018 4:20 pm

I honestly can't stand the rpg.net forums. Too much drama, too much political bickering all the time, too much snob mood. And I think many of the mods are heavy-handed and single-minded.

They are big, they are visible, but I can't manage signing in them.

Keridwyn44

Post by Keridwyn44 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:27 pm

There is a place in use already, though not with much traffic...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AiME/

Keridwyn

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Fri May 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Keridwyn44 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:27 pm
There is a place in use already, though not with much traffic...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AiME/

Keridwyn
Just for AiME though.
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318

Wbweather

Post by Wbweather » Fri May 18, 2018 4:49 pm

And if some of us forum members were willing to chip in and get a site for an unofficial C7 forum, would it be feasible to transfer the existing forum data to that site and continue running it with fan moderators? Just a thought. I am not skilled enough to do such a thing, but would be willing to contribute in any way I could if it were possible. Not sure what legal issues might be involved with this idea.