Awarding Inspiration

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Keridwyn44

Awarding Inspiration

Post by Keridwyn44 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 pm

I thought I'd share my method of dealing with Inspiration in my game. I find that this takes some of the stress off me, as well as rewarding role-play for each player.

I use Index cards for my players to keep track of their Inspiration. On each side I put specific actions related to 2 of their background traits, 1 for their shadow weakness, and 1 for their culture. On one side are things they can do to earn Inspiration, and on the other are things they do to spend it. That way they just flip their cards over based on whether they had Inspiration or not, and know what to do to use or gain it. I also start them *with* Inspiration, and occasionally award it for other actions during the session.

For example, my Dwarven Scholar with an Emissary background has on the "to get Inspiration" side:
Trustworthy: keep a promise made
Despair: Fail a Persuasion roll
Weakness: Reveal information *at the proper time*
Dwarf: Improve a Holding

And on the "Spend Inspiration" side:
Specialty: Advantage on Lore (Orcs)
Hope: Advantage on Traditions
Weakness: Advantage on Investigation
Dwarf: Gain 1 gold

If they should ever suffer a Bout of Madness and have to take a Shadow Flaw, I plan to amend the card to encourage role-play of the new characteristic. In my dwarf's case, when he becomes "Haughty", I will replace "Trustworthy" with "Ignore advice given."

I hope this brings Inspiration to someone! :D

Keridwyn

Robin Smallburrow

Re: Awarding Inspiration

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 am

I think these are great! Could you share how you create your cards, or are they just blank cards that you have handwritten? (One of the things I am wishing is that there are AiME cards to buy out there, like the spell cards for normal D&D 5e!!)

Interestingly, I think that earlier in the forum someone else created cards like yours, but again the main problem is the issue of printing them in a way that they look good, not to mention the time required!

Robin S.
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Fri May 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Robin Smallburrow wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 am
Interestingly, I think that earlier in the forum someone else created cards like yours, but again the main problem is the issue of printing them in a way that they look good, not to mention the time required!
Robin S.
Humorously, I am more interested in the functionality than I am in the "looks good" factor.

And I am TOTALLY stealing this idea.
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Keridwyn44

Post by Keridwyn44 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks! I've just handwritten the actions on 3x5 Index Cards in pencil. I am using pencil intentionally because I want to be able to change their Inspirations for Shadow Flaws, but also so they can use the Gain New Trait Undertaking if they find they don't like role playing as they originally set up their characters.

Please feel free to use - it is a mashup of ideas from the Angry GM with a few twists of my own.

http://theangrygm.com/take-the-suck-out-of-inspiration/

Keridwyn

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri May 18, 2018 6:28 pm

I think it's a great idea.

But do you then only allow them to use Inspiration for the things listed on the card? Or can they use it like the RAW for any roll they want to?
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).

Keridwyn44

Post by Keridwyn44 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Generally, only what's on the card. But I am willing to entertain arguments for other uses on a case-by-case basis.