Missing information (that's included in TOR books)

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Kenomica

Missing information (that's included in TOR books)

Post by Kenomica » Tue May 15, 2018 1:51 am

I recently started reading through bits of The One Ring RPG Core Book & Lake-town guide as I'm curious of how that game works compared to AiME.

I noticed two large sections of very useful lore information that I haven;t seen covered anywhere in AiME.
  • Dragontide: The festival is covered extensively in the Lake-town guide, whilst getting one throwaway line in AiME.
  • The Lamp of Balthi: The lamp gets a rather large section dedicated to the legend of the lamp; it even has a gorgeous piece of art depicting the lamp whilst again, AiME get's a rough description of where the lamp is...but not much about the lamp itself.
Am I correct that this information is just not available in AiME? Or have I completely missed it in a different book?

Bonus Question: As a sort of odd bonus thing I've noticed while researching both games - I've see a lot of promotional material for the three Nazgûl which includes a very hunched over, twisted wraith in the centre. I haven't seen the middle one in AiME anywhere. I'm not sure if it appears in TOR, as I've only managed to skim through copies of the Core Book and Lake-town guide. It looks like maybe the middle one is supposed to be the Lieutenant of Dol Guldur, which (in AiME at least) has a very different design. The other two are the same as The Ghost of the Forest & The Messenger.

Last edited by Kenomica on Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

iuzbob

Re: Missing information (that's included in TOR books)

Post by iuzbob » Tue May 15, 2018 7:05 am

For the Lamp of Balthi there is a lot of information to be found through all the books.

- The Loremasters Guide has a small section of the Hall of Balthi (p18)
- The Rhovanion Region Guide has additional information that the Lamp protects the settlement (p73) and that it was founded by the folk of Balthi (p106)
- and finally we have the story of the Secrets of the Lamp in the Mirkwood Campaign Guide on page 34. There is the description of the making of and use of the Lamp.

Kenomica

Post by Kenomica » Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks for the reply. I've looked through those pages but there's no description of the legend of Gandalf and Balthi the Bold as in TOR (~4 paragraphs describing the legend - the way Balthi received the lamps, his arrow wound from Orcs etc.)

This is page 278 of the TOR revised core book, under 'additional setting material' - as well as a gorgeous piece of art that I had never seen before depicting the lamp and the engravings on the case.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue May 15, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm not sure which Nazgul that is, but I don't think it's the Lieutenant of Dol Guldur. I seem to remember a more imposing figure from the TOR books.
Adventure Summaries for my long-running group (currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood/Mirkwood Campaign), and the Tale of Years for a second, lower-level group (in the same campaign).

Red Haired Thor

Post by Red Haired Thor » Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 pm

That is definitely not the Lieutenant, but I'm not sure who it is either. The Ghost is to the left and the Messenger to the right. Neat look though.

torus

Post by torus » Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 am

Interesting discussion. I wonder is there anything in the other direction, i.e. lore/setting material that is in AiME but not TOR? In some cases perhaps the boundary between lore and rules may be blurred.

Kenomica

Post by Kenomica » Fri May 18, 2018 9:40 am

torus wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 am
Interesting discussion. I wonder is there anything in the other direction, i.e. lore/setting material that is in AiME but not TOR? In some cases perhaps the boundary between lore and rules may be blurred.
I'm also interested in the reverse. I'd certainly look at The Road Goes Ever On & Eaves of Mirkwood for any 'extra' lore that may not be in TOR. Eaves has rules for Smoke Rings (game) which is great - TOR has lots of rules (and lore) for games at Dragontide - like 'The Black Arrow'

Thinking about it, I'd love a 'Festivals & Games' supplement. Rules for various games, contests, lore on cultural festivals; Yule-tide, Dragontide, Gathering of Five Armies, any Summer or Harvest festivals etc.