Warhammer Fourth Edition News

All the Cubicle 7 news
King Eirik

Re: Warhammer Fourth Edition News

Post by King Eirik » Mon May 14, 2018 8:41 pm

The d100 system used will be broadly familiar, but a new implementation designed to offer three ways of resolving actions:
1 – a decision based on the characters’ abilities

2 – a simple pass/fail test

3 – a more nuanced dramatic test giving a range of outcomes and success levels
Oh how I want to know more!!! I think it’s very interesting to mix these three ways to take advantage of this implementation to make tests more dramatic for the players.
The King is dead! Long live the King!

Marchiavel

Post by Marchiavel » Mon May 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Hoping figures and special effects with Unit dice on thé d100 ;)

Szadek

Post by Szadek » Tue May 15, 2018 12:44 am

I'm very much looking forward to this new edition of Warhammer, tho I have my concerns about a few game mechanics. Combat really shined in 2ed for me, the ability to dodge and parry along with countless other tactile choices made it so much more fun then games like D&D and my players to this day still love it. It would really put me off if they turned it into a game of wack a mole, much like other systems now days. The other thing I noticed is some of C7 games and other companies have started using range bands instead of hard numbers. As odd as it may sound to others, my brain processes raw data far better then abstract measurements and would be a turn off for me. It was the Big reason I didn't touch 3e by FFG. Don't get me wrong, if the game system is indeed modular as it sounds, have a system for both styles. The last thing that has always made warhammer shine from 1st, 2ed and even 40k was how lethal combat could be and is another aspect that would turn me away from this new edition if they took that away.

I'm stupidly excited and can't not wait to get my pdf next month and take this new edition through the ringer with my group. Also does anyone know if they will support character sheets on roll20? My group is spread out all across the state's and parts of the UK so it would be nice to get some love for the group's that play online....gone are the days where your only options to play a table top game is at your table or a gaming store....the hobby has gone viral.

Sorry about typos and grammar.....I'm typing on a tablet while on a train......not as easy as it sounds...

Ghal Maraz

Post by Ghal Maraz » Tue May 15, 2018 8:45 am

King Eirik wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:35 pm
The combat system has been designed to be quick, dynamicDom did also talk about our ambitious plans for expansions. An expeditionary approach to Lustria was mentioned, as was his excitement about Dark Elf politics and how he always wanted to go to Ulthuan. and exciting, with something happening as the result of every roll.
Ah, I really like this! As a GM I love 13th Age cause every roll can be interesting for me - not only: „16, I hit you...“
Dragon Age was also a system that was interesting but only when you rolled a pair with the dice. So this sounds great to me! :)
Some kind of fail - forward mechanic? Yes, please.

It would also be helpful in reducing the perceived whiff factor of the first two editions (which has always been a legitimate complaint).

Roke

Post by Roke » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 am

Orin J. wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:00 pm
Roke wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 pm
I want official adventure material that’s well produced and awesome. Such great material, regularly released, linked into a campaign, set in the Old World is what WFRP4 is going to need to succeed.
Out of personal interest, what sort of regualry released material are you hoping for? Segmented, ongoing adventures that tie together sutable for a "challange of the week" adventure format? Broad hooks that can be tied together or plopped seperately into other campaigns as needed for filler or breaking up the progression? Smaller adventures tied to a larger location that can be used to host a big, sprawling campaign to last your adventuring party a long time (and several roster changes, knowing WFRP)? I single strongly tied series of longer narrative stories?
My personal choice from your list would be: “Smaller adventures tied to a larger location that can be used to host a big, sprawling campaign to last your adventuring party a long time (and several roster changes, knowing WFRP)”

I prefer good adventures (maybe 2-3 sessions) linked together in a grander story arc forming an epic campaign.

But honestly, almost any adventure material is good. Single session adventures, hooks, etc. can be used for one-offs or incorporated into an ongoing campaign.

It’s just that if the ONLY adventure material are brief hooks or one-off, not linked, adventures, then you really cannot play a canned campaign. And a game’s popularity and longevity are usually linked to an awesome grand campaign.

igest

Post by igest » Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 am

I like when you feel in the different books that they are all linked in some way, even though it is small. Then you feel your are submerged in a great "all". Maybe it is a location book, but in their pages you find a NPC atached in some way to other adventure, that is!!
Last edited by igest on Wed May 16, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghal Maraz

Post by Ghal Maraz » Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 am

Did you mean "feel", right? Sorry if I ask, but otherwise I really can't get the meaning of your post!

AikiGhost

Post by AikiGhost » Wed May 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Huge lover of WFRP 1st and 2nd editions here. Seriosly considering pre ordering the collectors edition...but....

Can I get a cliffs notes for the basic system?

How deadly is it?
How do careers work?
Will it be fairly rules light, as in similar or simpler than 1st/2nd ed?

igest

Post by igest » Wed May 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Ghal Maraz wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 am
Did you mean "feel", right? Sorry if I ask, but otherwise I really can't get the meaning of your post!
You are right.... sorry for my english!! sometimes i write some mistakes like this :D

Ghal Maraz

Post by Ghal Maraz » Wed May 16, 2018 4:03 pm

No need to worry. I'm not a native-speaker too.