Warhammer Fourth Edition News

All the Cubicle 7 news
Roke

Re: Warhammer Fourth Edition News

Post by Roke » Thu May 10, 2018 4:00 am

I can only hope that there are immediate plans to release a major campaign of adventures set in the Old World.

What made WFRP such a success the first time was The Enemy Within Campaign. The rules and setting were unique and awesome at the time. Great support of miniatures, adventures, even card buildings, maps, etc. made us eager for what was next for years.

Once The Enemy Within finished, WFRP declined. The few dwindling adventures, with no amazing campaign, killed it.

Paizo found success due to their high production quality, constant support with lots of material released, and their Adventure Paths which keep new campaign material constantly releasing.

I fear if the rule book is the only thing released the first six months, then it will die. Even though the QuickStart is coming, it’s coming after the rules, so there’s no way for GMs to run the game unless they make their own adventures or use old canned material.

For me, it will depend on production of awesome adventure material that will make or break my group playing WFRP again. Given Cubicle 7’s great adventures for The One Ring, I have hope, but the pace of publishing may be a factor.

I wish you every luck with the 4th edition (I helped test and edit some material for the 3rd). I look forward to seeing the new edition (which of course I already pre-ordered.)

Syntezz

Post by Syntezz » Thu May 10, 2018 7:46 am

BTW I just noticed the following in the bottom of Middle-earth: Eriador Adventures! news:

In other news:
We’ll have more info on WFRP Fourth Edition soon, as promised!

AdolphusAltdorfer

Post by AdolphusAltdorfer » Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 am

Syntezz wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:46 am
BTW I just noticed the following in the bottom of Middle-earth: Eriador Adventures! news:

In other news:
We’ll have more info on WFRP Fourth Edition soon, as promised!
Nice find. Should mean that we will get more news at the end of next week.

/A
The Altdorf Correspondent

Download the most detailed map of the Old World city of Altdorf and hit the streets in search of grim and perilous adventure.

http://altdorfer.blogspot.se/2012/12/ia ... nload.html

marklord

Post by marklord » Thu May 10, 2018 1:09 pm

Roke wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:00 am
I can only hope that there are immediate plans to release a major campaign of adventures set in the Old World.

Once The Enemy Within finished, WFRP declined. The few dwindling adventures, with no amazing campaign, killed it.
I really hope this is the case as well - and I agree that something more than an updated version of the Enemy Within campaign will be a necessity if they're going to make a success of this. I only ever played 1st edition, but from what I have heard the new adventure material for both 2nd and 3rd edition was pretty good. What I'm not so excited about is a new version of The Enemy Within - if they want to update the stats and add a bit of material then that's fine and I'm sure it will sell, but I really hope we don't have to wait, say, another year before there's new adventure material.

Having said that I'm quite looking forward to writing some of my own material for 4th edition and posting it free online. Hopefully there will be plenty of good quality fan material to plug the gaps?
I write occasionally about games and WFRP on my website at http://marklord.info where you can also see more about my fantasy and historical fiction writing.

Roke

Post by Roke » Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 pm

marklord wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:09 pm
I only ever played 1st edition, but from what I have heard the new adventure material for both 2nd and 3rd edition was pretty good.
I played almost every adventure published for 2nd and help test many of the adventures for 3rd. And yes, there were good adventures, but not to the hit quality of The Enemy Within.

Perhaps it was a once in a lifetime occurrence, but 1st edition had great rules, great art, great setting, and a great campaign made of great adventure supplements. Add early GW miniatures and support and it was an amazing experience.

Without the campaign material, WFRP would have just been another FRP ruleset. Without new releases in a timely fashion, The Enemy Within wouldn’t have been enough supported. It just all came together (ok, some of the later campaign supplements were late).
marklord wrote:
What I'm not so excited about is a new version of The Enemy Within - if they want to update the stats and add a bit of material then that's fine and I'm sure it will sell, but I really hope we don't have to wait, say, another year before there's new adventure material.
Totally agree. Many of us early supporters of 4th are nostalgic, having played the earlier editions. Most of us have likely played The Enemy Within and aren’t interested in playing it again.

Like Hollywood, you can either make something new and amazing or you can remake an old hit and hope it works. But remakes seldom become as big a hit as the first version.
marklord wrote:
Having said that I'm quite looking forward to writing some of my own material for 4th edition and posting it free online. Hopefully there will be plenty of good quality fan material to plug the gaps?
I’m glad you’re excited about making your own adventures. I wish I had that skill and time anymore but I don’t. So I rely on canned material. And, no offense, but I don’t want to take the time to find, review, read, and sort through a lot of fan material, most of which isn’t up to professional standards.

I want official adventure material that’s well produced and awesome. Such great material, regularly released, linked into a campaign, set in the Old World is what WFRP4 is going to need to succeed.

What worries me is that there has been zero information about adventure support. If six months go by and the only adventure is some one-offs or sourcebook material, I fear for the future of WFRP4.

marklord

Post by marklord » Thu May 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Yes see your point on fan stuff - and actually I'm probably being optimistic about doing my own! Would just like to give it a go.

Let's hope lots of good stuff to come!
I write occasionally about games and WFRP on my website at http://marklord.info where you can also see more about my fantasy and historical fiction writing.

Orin J.

Post by Orin J. » Thu May 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Roke wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:56 pm
I want official adventure material that’s well produced and awesome. Such great material, regularly released, linked into a campaign, set in the Old World is what WFRP4 is going to need to succeed.

What worries me is that there has been zero information about adventure support. If six months go by and the only adventure is some one-offs or sourcebook material, I fear for the future of WFRP4.
Out of personal interest, what sort of regualry released material are you hoping for? Segmented, ongoing adventures that tie together sutable for a "challange of the week" adventure format? Broad hooks that can be tied together or plopped seperately into other campaigns as needed for filler or breaking up the progression? Smaller adventures tied to a larger location that can be used to host a big, sprawling campaign to last your adventuring party a long time (and several roster changes, knowing WFRP)? I single strongly tied series of longer narrative stories?

There's a lot of ground in the old world people want covered and a lot of ways to cover it, and i'm quite interested in the "how we want it" lately. i tend to look more to the long haul when i cook things up and i've recently gotten the idea that's not nearly as common a viewpoint as i first thought, so i like to discuss the matter with people.

King Eirik

Post by King Eirik » Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 pm

I hope that TEW Developer‘s Cut will allow me to play the campaign again - new twists and surprises for old time players ;)
And I hope that there will be some adventures and campaigns in the near future so there will be an ongoing interest in 4th Edition. But personally I would like to see more supplements as I will write my own adventures.
The King is dead! Long live the King!

Syntezz

Post by Syntezz » Mon May 14, 2018 6:46 am

It seems that threr was not much of a news at warhammer fest. Honestly I can't quite get what all this absence of news is all about. I thint there are enough information to post some every week until pdf is released. If this is all about NDA it seems to be pretty unnecessary strict. In the end it will turn down those who not made a preorder yet.

Noobirus

Post by Noobirus » Mon May 14, 2018 7:06 am

This may be a controversial post, but I'll risk it...
I just received some disturbing rumors from a serious source, that GW is planning to take away the rights to WFRP from C7 after the release of the Core book. That is why we still don't have a subforum (and probably won't get any) or any bigger info about the main book. Future supplements may be released by another company.
So... what's the deal here? I'm not blaming C7 or anything, because I know how problematic GW can be as a business partner.

EDIT!!! So the "leaks" I got may have been waaay too overblown. Please ignore these rumors. Please read the response on Page 17.
Last edited by Noobirus on Mon May 14, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.