Introductions and Tolerance

Adventure in the world of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/
cuthalion

Re: Introductions and Tolerance

Post by cuthalion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:17 pm

SurrenderMonkey wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 pm
Except by this logic it is also possible to reason that failed Insight rolls (for bonus success dice) also reduce Tolerance, which definitely seems inappropriate to me.
Seems like you got your answer--but just to circle back to this point: in case you might still be wondering about this, I wouldn't ever penalize a player for a preliminary roll. As far as I run things/understand the RAW, preliminary rolls for Travel/Encounters/Combat should only ever reward bonus success dice. They don't have any other purpose/effects.

cuthalion

Post by cuthalion » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm

I suppose maybe with the exception of eyes adding to Eye of Sauron counts. Maybe? Does anybody do this?

Indur Dawndeath

Post by Indur Dawndeath » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 am

cuthalion wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm
I suppose maybe with the exception of eyes adding to Eye of Sauron counts. Maybe? Does anybody do this?
Yes, I count eyes, but not while planning a journey in a safe place, and not during battle. So really only Insight for encounters in the Wild.
One game to rule them all: TOR

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Yes, I counted Eyes rolled during Preliminary rolls (for Travel and Encounters).

As for the OP, I have always counted failures during the Introduction as counting towards the total. That said, I don't believe my players ever ended up failing an Encounter. Even the one in Tales from Wilderland with Raenar the dragon (I believe it has a Tolerance of 2!).
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood