Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
GRAAK

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by GRAAK » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Utherix wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:42 pm
GRAAK wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:59 pm
Have I missed anything juice or there has been no news about wfrp 4 aside of "no kickstarter, normal release"?

If so....disappointed :(
No news at all. It's interesting to see the difference between Ulisses, who immediately set up a whole dedicated FAQ page complete with art for their re-imagining of Warhammer 40k RPG, and Cubicle 7, who hasn't released any information at all or attempted to hype the release in any way.
Praying Sigmar...

FeloniousMonk

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by FeloniousMonk » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Looks like there is some news regarding Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4e from RPG.net and grimandperilous.com:
More details emerge from Cubicle 7 at Gen Con 50! From Gears at RPG.net:

- No details regarding release date. However, Cubicle 7 has advertised 2017.

- Cubicle 7 (C7) has told fans that WFRP 4e will be released normally, meaning it won't have a Kickstarter to raise funds.

- WHFRP4 will be a bit different from first and second edition, but "if you stood on their shoulders, you could clearly see 4 from there". It will not borrow anything from third edition, and is clearly looking to be the latest evolution of the classic D100 percentile system.

- Default setting of WFRP 4th edition is The Enemy Within era of the Empire. By dialing the timeline back, they'll let everyone enjoy the classic 'Old World Feel' and decide for themselves how far they wish to go into the Storm of Chaos/End Times material.

- WFRP 4e is meant to be the "Look, a Bloodthirster! Run!" game, while Age of Sigmar is meant to be the "Look, a Bloodthirster! Charge!" game. Different power levels, different gonzo levels. C7 said that while they and other writers on WFRP4 are big fans of the classic Old World, they're actually really looking forward to Age of Sigmar as a chance to do something that feels very different within the Warhammer mythos. C7 said they have hopes to develop Age of Sigmar's setting into something very special, and those who were originally turned off by Age of Sigmar should give the RPG take on it a second look.

- C7 said the current regime at GW is very enthusiastic about RPGs and is a dream to work with. C7 has already been offered free ad space in White Dwarf as a way of supporting the rpg-end of the Warhammer hobby.
https://grimandperilous.com/warhammer-f ... t-gen-con/

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:09 am

- Default setting of WFRP 4th edition is The Enemy Within era of the Empire. By dialing the timeline back, they'll let everyone enjoy the classic 'Old World Feel' and decide for themselves how far they wish to go into the Storm of Chaos/End Times material.

Excellent news. Its what I expected from Cubicle 7 who have shown examplary understanding of the thematic strengths of their games/settings and designed accordingly. This is a game I'll be picking up for sure. Box ticked...

Will we hear the pitter patter of tiny gnomic feet I wonder? A return of the greatest private detective in his original guise as Alphonse Hercules de Gascoigne?

grey

Post by grey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Has anyone heard if there are plans to produce sourcebooks etc. for the 'rest of the world'? I would love to see a decent WFRP Cathay, Southlands, Lustria etc...

Karl Sanford

Post by Karl Sanford » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 pm

grey wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:34 pm
Has anyone heard if there are plans to produce sourcebooks etc. for the 'rest of the world'? I would love to see a decent WFRP Cathay, Southlands, Lustria etc...

If they do so I hope the sourcebook information is packaged around a campaign, preferably ones that can take existing characters on a journey beyond the Empire.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:26 am

Karl Sanford wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 pm
If they do so I hope the sourcebook information is packaged around a campaign, preferably ones that can take existing characters on a journey beyond the Empire.
That would be a great way of exapanding the scope of the Old World. For me source material should go hand in hand with adventure.

I really hope cubicle 7 weave the fun and humour of 1ed into the new game, that was such a big part of WFRP. If it gets too earnest then it kills off the spirit of WFRP 1ed. Theres a balance to be struck for sure.

Wonder if there will be a starter set? They seem to go down well these days

Orin J.

Post by Orin J. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:53 am

Karl Sanford wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:15 pm
grey wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:34 pm

I understand the value in having a "distant land of mystery", so i'd rather cathay maybe gets fleshed out a bit by looking at the caravans their traders come to the old world in, so you can peek into the culture and lifestyles of the place a bit while still keeping a lot of it ambiguous for people to play with in their own games.

Really wanna see some detailing in Ulthuan, though

Arioch1973

Post by Arioch1973 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:57 pm

When it comes to Cathay/Nippon, for some reason I always envisioned the Warhammer eastern cultures to be basically what is portrayed in the roleplaying game Legend of the Five Rings. A mash of asian cultures, fighting against hordes of undead lead by an evil god, and against each other.
I want to see more material for the old world, the new world, and a book about cathay or nippon would be awesome. I can imagine a Marco Polo style explorer/trade campaign that takes you into those areas. But realistically, I think I have to be happy with if I get a new version that I can find acceptable to play.

Grey Seer

Post by Grey Seer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:29 am

Come on C7! Don't let us down! You got this!
-Greyh

Grey Seer

Post by Grey Seer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:29 am
Hi All,
We appreciate and share your enthusiasm! We'll update with some more WFRP news, perhaps some pictures, as soon as they're ready to share.
Drooling...waiting for more! I hope we get some news soon. I can't wait to see what C7 has for us!
-Greyh