Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

All the Cubicle 7 news
Robin Low

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Robin Low » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 pm

silverfoxdmt73 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:51 pm
I posted on StS periodically but I didn't find it until well after 2nd Ed died. Third edition really put me off too.
It would be interesting to know how many people WFRP3 lost us. It's certainly true that WFRP3 gained us people as well, but a lot of them seem to have vanished as well now.

Mind you, some people just burn out on any game. I just hope that this time there can be a level of sustained interest that keeps the game viable for the long term in the same way Call of Cthulhu remains viable.

Regards,

Robin

Orin J.

Re: Cubicle 7 and Games Workshop announce new edition of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Post by Orin J. » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:38 am

Paid a bod yn dwp wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:55 am
Robin Low wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:38 am
I'm curious: how many posters in this thread are familiar with or active on the Strike to Stun forums or the FFG WFRP forums?
I'm new, periodically glanced at what has been happening to WFRP but not in any particularly active way :)
Robin Low wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:02 am
I've not done any work on this, but my thinking is that both approaches to Bretonnia should be embraced. One way to do this is seriously rejigging the timeline, so Arthurian Bretonnia becomes history for a current Musketeer Bretonnia.
I think 2ed version of Arthurian Bretonnia could work well as an isolated conservative province or state somewhere in the old world, maybe even in the Empire. But it seems a massive shame to lose that pre revolutionary France feel of original Bretonnia, with musketeers with flopish hats. it seemed like such an important part of the high renaissance old world.
it's not like the two are mutually exclusive, really. the way the knights are the majority of their standing army suggests they need a LOT of nobles to fill it out, which can't be happening if they're all going from errantry to questing all the time instead of starting families. seems more likely that a lot of the nobs simply don't make the cut for knighthood, so they might prove their devotion to the flower chivalry through song and sightseeing, crafting ballads to inspire and woo ladies and start their own very large families so the kingdom can absorb the casualties it has to sustain...

sure that means the peasantry is putting up with a bunch of foppish nobles strolling through town testing poetry on them and generally being in the way, but isn't that what we want?

Xyd

Post by Xyd » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:31 am

Robin Low wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 pm
It would be interesting to know how many people WFRP3 lost us. It's certainly true that WFRP3 gained us people as well, but a lot of them seem to have vanished as well now.

Mind you, some people just burn out on any game. I just hope that this time there can be a level of sustained interest that keeps the game viable for the long term in the same way Call of Cthulhu remains viable.

Regards,

Robin
Well, my interest has never waned with Warhammer. I've been running a 3 year 2nd edition game of WFRP and its still going. There are people out there running the game (and 3rd edition) but you'll rarely hear about them. Warhammer will never get as mainstream as some of the big rpg sets, but I am hoping that the 4th edition brings in new fans and gets more people into the Warhammer franchise.

I've also tried out 3rd edition... didn't like it. Even managed to convert a GM who was running a 3rd edition campaign to switch to 2nd edition, cause he never played 2nd edition before and loved it when he got to try it out. I did like the idea though behind the narrative dice for 3rd, but it wasn't implemented great. Star Wars Edge of the Empire would ultimately improve upon the dice mechanics..

I am looking forward to seeing what Cubicle 7 has in store for 4th edition, but... I do have reservations. Particularly the early release date this year has me concerned, but they did mention a 2 year plan for it. I just hope we do get a 4th edition, and not 3.5 (or what I'd call 2.5e).

SaFe

Post by SaFe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:27 pm

For many years we played in the Warhammer World, but quickly our group became dissappointed with the rules of Warhammer 2nd edition, so we played it with another system.

We played 3rd edition, but it was a little over the top with just too many fiddly bits.
Nonetheless is was a big step up from the lame d100 system and i was impressed by some of the ideas behind it.
I loved the streamlined rules of Star Wars Edge of the Empire, but to be honest i 'm not too much in Science Fiction.

Our group has almost all the supplements of 2nd edition, and also some of the old 1st edition, so i think that we pass on the 4th, if it is d100.

Karl Sanford

A

Post by Karl Sanford » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:20 am

As long as the new edition is clearly a roleplaying game and not a shared-narrative storytelling game.

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:33 pm

SaFe wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:27 pm
Our group has almost all the supplements of 2nd edition, and also some of the old 1st edition, so i think that we pass on the 4th, if it is d100.
What if it produces good scenarios and setting material? Would you buy those to use with the system of your choice?

Regards,

Robin

Trippy

Post by Trippy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:44 am

The one thing that WFRP 2nd Ed. didn't have was an updated (and possibly refined), full colour version of The Enemy Within Campaign. This, in my opinion, is one of the finest campaigns in RPG history. So if there is one thing I'd hope for in a new edition, it would be that. I know that there was an Enemy Within campaign box for 3rd edition, but from my understanding it was quite different to the first, regardless of system.

With regards to the system for WFRP 4th edition, my thoughts on the matter have already been expressed (with some passion!) on this thread. However, it's already been committed that the system will be D100, and as somebody else already pointed out the gameplay testing has probably already been done ages ago, behind the scenes, so I don't know why people are trying to get the mechanics changed right now.

Yes, personally, I like the WFRP system of careers and percentiles, while others apparently do not. Yes, I actually liked the colourful and chaotic, thematic design of WFRP 2nds Sorcery system too, while others do not. However, my core argument boils down to keeping the integrity of a game in tact. For me, WFRP with percentiles, a career progression system for characters and gritty low level play is integral to the game, in the same way polyhedrals, six Ability scores, AC and HP are integral to D&D. Mess with them at your peril.

If the mechanics are evidently broken or can clearly be improved upon, without disrupting the integrity of the game then sure, make the change. Just don't assume that old classic games would be improved by taking up cool, shiny, new approaches just for the sake of being cool and shiny. Fantasy Flight Games had their own reasons for doing that with the 3rd edition, but it wasn't successful ultimately. Time to reconnect with the long term fanbase, I feel as the core priority.

So, hopefully all this proto-edition warring for WFRP will die down quickly and we can then all unite in our distaste of Age of Sigmar as expected...

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:06 am

Gnomes. We need Gnomes. Bring back Gnomes from 1ed.

Its a roleplaying game not a war-game. Character is what matters. Gnomes bring more character & story telling possibilities to WFRP, and enrich the background. I can see many interesting uses of Gnome characters. From comic relief (useful as foil to the grim dark), to Gnomes with dubious motivations. Mischievous, cantankerous, inventive, scholarly, illusionists etc

I'm still inspired by the Gnome character in Carl Sargent’s Poirot-inspired adventure , Alphonse Hercules de Gascoigne, the Gnome detective from “With a Little Help from My Friends " first published in White Dwarf 105. It would be good to see this character make a return in future publications.

Heres a link to Graeme Davis blog post on gnomes in WFRP 1ed:

https://graemedavis.wordpress.com/2014/ ... omevember/

And while we're at it lets not forget the Fimr too!

SaFe

Post by SaFe » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Robin Low wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:33 pm
SaFe wrote:
What if it produces good scenarios and setting material? Would you buy those to use with the system of your choice?

Regards,

Robin
Well, that depends on the time i would need to convert the rules.
But honestly, with a family, a time intensive job and two active kids i hoped to "play out of the box".

Robin Low

Post by Robin Low » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:12 pm

My apologies in advance - due to lack of time, the following turns into a ramble.

SaFe wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Robin Low wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:33 pm
SaFe wrote:
Well, that depends on the time i would need to convert the rules.
But honestly, with a family, a time intensive job and two active kids i hoped to "play out of the box".
Ideally, background material shouldn't need rules, and statwise just swap a goblin for a goblin. I can relate to lack of time, but that's one reason I'd prefer a simple percentile system where strengths and weakness are immediately clear, where you can make up a score as needed.

I've reached the point where I have so many different sets of rules on my shelves that I'm sick to death of reinventing-the-wheel masquerading as innovation. Roll a die, get a result, move on. What I want is far more attention paid to original, novel ideas that are nurtured beyond scenario seeds. I want material that I and a thousand other roleplayers hadn't already thought of. I want to see recognition that the atmosphere created during a session is more important than - and can be damaged by - messing about with dice and rules.

This is the fourth edition of a game that can be played with any number of existing rulesets besides its own. It has a well-defined setting that comes with a set of expectations. If it deviates from established themes and lore, then it has to do so both interestingly and convincingly. There are areas of the setting that have never been developed, which fans have been begging for decades to see.

So, I want WFRP4 to have a familiar, straight forward system that doesn't get in the way of roleplaying and atmosphere. A system where it doesn't require much thought to take something from any previous edition and adapt it.

I want scenarios coming out of the wazzooo. It works for CoC, which C7 writes for, and I see no reason why it shouldn't work for WFRP. Just don't give me another scenario about Skaven and Warpstone. Give me a story about the Alchemist who gets his hands on a damaged Warpfire Thrower, or the about the Skaven tunnelling into the Imperial Altdorf Bakeries to steal the Schwarz Kirsche Bakewells destined for official welcoming of the new Bretonnian Ambassador, or about how the PCs are recruited as deniable agents of the Cult of Morr to spy on the activities of a notable With Hunter working under Church of Sigmar authority.

I want to see Lustria and Norsca. I'm not really interested in High Elves and Ulthuan, but lots of other WFRP fans are, so give 'em a damn sourcebook! There's no such thing as too much background, as any GM is free to use, adapt or reject as they see fit.

And again, support the fan material!

Regards,

Robin