Hacking in Rocket Age

an alternate history pulpy retro-sci-fi space opera planetary romance. It's throttled up rocket packs burning radium on the long blast to the farthest reaches of the Solar System. It's hunting thunder lizards in the upland jungles of Venus. It's battling Ancient Martian killing machines piloted by the Deutsche Marserkorps across the baking red deserts of Mars. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/rocket-age-2/
SilverShoggoth

Hacking in Rocket Age

Post by SilverShoggoth » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:21 pm

Minor Spoilers for "The Lost City of the Ancients"
I've been running "The Lost City of the Ancients" with my rp group lately and last session they decided that they would try to use the ancient martian datapad they had found to hack into the lost city's security systems and attempt to shut them down. I ruled that this allowed them to contact the robobrain running the show directly. I'd be curious, however, to see how others would handle hacking in RA.

NozzDogg47

Re: Hacking in Rocket Age

Post by NozzDogg47 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:27 am

Well I've never thought of it as hacking, since I think that's a bit of an alien concept for a game set in the 1930s. That's probably the biggest difference. My party basically forgot they had the datapad.

I once allowed the players to use the roboman in the party as the CPU of an Ancient Martian facility though, so...

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:19 am

IN the playtest we had a roboman PC hack into the control robobrain of an AM facility to some effect, though with lots of story points and some amazing dice rolls.
Ken Spencer
Line Developer and writer, Rocket Age
Check out our Rocket Age events at GenCon 2014!

I am a mod, and my mod voice is RED

NozzDogg47

Post by NozzDogg47 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:31 am

One possibility I thought of recently was treating hacking like a social combat, except with Technology in place of Convince, while dealing with a Robobrain.

You could always of course just argue normally with the Robobrain and convince it to help you, but I suspect that would be a lot harder.

SilverShoggoth

Post by SilverShoggoth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:10 pm

That's basically what ended up happening, in my session. The "hacking" really just gave the characters a direct line to the (rather miffed) Robobrain and engaged in a bit of a back and forth there, before deciding it was a fruitless endeavour. Many story points and high ingenuity - technology rolls where involved to get in, and many low presence - convince rolls lead them to abandon the hack. I do however really like the idea of a presence - technology check or something of the like. I might try that in future.

I found it an interesting situation, given hacking does seem like such an alien concept to the setting, yet it still allows for some very interesting play.

KenSpencer

Post by KenSpencer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:20 pm

You could also do a logic bomb to shut down a robobrain, maybe even cause damage. Ingenuity + Technology or Knowledge, +2 for someone with argumentative. Ha, the Venusian Logic Bomb, available at the Rocket Cat Club in Emancipation, 1 part rum, 1 part ginger ale, 2 parst fermented kala juice.
Ken Spencer
Line Developer and writer, Rocket Age
Check out our Rocket Age events at GenCon 2014!

I am a mod, and my mod voice is RED