Victoriana outside of the Victorian Era

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
knightofhagan

Victoriana outside of the Victorian Era

Post by knightofhagan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Hey Forum,
I'm working on a new series of posts for my blog, where I'm transporting the core ideas of Victoriana to a more recent era. I'm holding onto the mix of historical facts and fantasy tropes while looking at the gaming possibilities of this new setting.
Has anyone tried brainstorming or even running Victoriana outside of the Victorian era?
I'd love to hear how it went, and what you modified to make the rules fit your alternate setting.

knightofhagan

Re: Victoriana outside of the Victorian Era

Post by knightofhagan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Well, if I'm breaking new ground then I suppose anything I write will be the best around. For the next few weeks, I'll be adapting the Victoriana setting and rules to the early 1940s, specifically the Battle of Britain. You can find all my efforts on my Blog.

Here is the first post introducing the early 1940s setting "Their Finest Hour": http://skullduggeryinthesmoke.blogspot. ... g-for.html

rulandor

Post by rulandor » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:54 pm

I made an alternative setting for Victoriana once, even sketched a map. I called it "Steam Lords of Lhovarnion", a fantasy setting where an interdimensional cataclysm destroyed the pseudo-victorian industrialized world of the Steam Lords and created the postapocalyptic vision of a post-victorian world.

In this world, the aftershocks of the cataclysm are a mutated animal and plant life, ferociously covering, even devouring the world. The human (inluding subspecies) survivors are trying to pick up again. The former central metropolis of this world, Lhovar Steam City, is being rebuilt, and the Steam Lords (a cabal of powerful dwarven industrialists und technomants) are trying to rebuilt their civilisation, running new railway lines into the wildernis, where armoured trains with gatling guns are fighting their way through a semisentient hungry jungle on their way to the outposts of civilisation.

Still, through cracks in the World Machine, Aether storms are at random thundering through the skys, making any form of air travel a dangerous proposition. Thus I imagine this world rather one of armoured trains, barges and motorised caravans than airships and ornithopters.

One keen inventor, however, thinks he discovered a marvel that would work as an arrester for magical or transdimensional lightning. He is building a new airship and hopes for volunteers steering it to the other islands and continents, where there has been no contact since the Aether-lypse.

I didn't introduce this setting here until now because it doesn't move the original Victoriana setting forward. Rather, it goes sideways ... :)

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Fantastic, modern apocalypse is too easy. Always mix something else in. The class system is so much the core of Victoriana. Did you adapt it in any way to reflect the setting or leave the old prejudices intact?

rulandor

Post by rulandor » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:08 pm

This I have not worked out yet. The preliminary consideration is that Steam Lord society is structured along victorian lines with the same sort of upper, middle and lower classes. On the frontier I imagine that class distinctions are somewhat diminished in importance. If there is an upper class on the frontier, it would consist of the odd factory owner or big landowner who somehow managed to save the business for the current times. Frontier settlements would be dominated by a middle class of professionals, mayors/administrators and lawmen, with people who don't have their own businesses, scouts/trappers and "savages" constituting the lower class. There would be an additional divide between "civilised" and "frontiers" people. The traveling merchant would belong to the frontiers middle class, but would be considered lower class by Steam City people.

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:30 pm

If I might suggest inspiration, the movie book of Eli has a pretty clear cut set of postapocalyptic social classes. Anyone able to flourish enough to be wealthy in that environment should be scary because of what they had to do to rise up.
Take Michal Gambon's character for example.

Southby-Taylyour

Post by Southby-Taylyour » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:50 am

You know, I've just been looking at Cthulhu London boxed set from the Cthulhu Britannica range.
I think that you could use Victoriana without too much dislocation in the 1920s and 30s.
There are all the major class structures still in place with all the perceived injustices still extant but they are slowly, very slowly crumbling and what with new sciences and whatnot and magic still available but maybe accessible to a greater number of classes.
Still a time for exploration too especially in the 1920s.
Thoughts?

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:33 pm

The 1920s would be a terrific choice for Victoriana. There's a lot of material thanks to Call of Cthulhu. Weapon stats would be easy to transfer, and you'd have a great source of adventures. Just pick a chapter from Masks of Nyarlathotep. A chapter? Pick any page!
For Their Finest Hour, I lost a lot of my research tricks as World War II era books are still under copyright. Most of the books from the 20s are free and clear, so anyone can find exactly what they need.
And of course the terrific writings of P. G. Wodehouse are perfect high class scenarios already.

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:37 pm

This weeks post for Their Finest Hour (Victoriana set during the early days of World War II) is all about period firearms. While fun to write it is incredibly stat heavy. If anyone has any thoughts about the stats given to each weapon I am all ears.

Here's the Post: http://skullduggeryinthesmoke.blogspot. ... -1940.html