Victoriana 2e and magic

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
Mirar

Victoriana 2e and magic

Post by Mirar » Sat May 25, 2013 9:50 am

(Is there an errata for Victoriana 2e I've missed somewhere?)

I'm trying to follow the rules for the Victoriana 2e magic system, but it's tricky.

The rulebook states,

"'Normal' mana cost for all spells [...] is a base of 8"

"cost of 3+Normal [...] (3+4)"

Is it 4 or 8? 8 seems a tad high. (What was the intention?)

(Do you need any testers for Victoriana 3e? 8-) That magic system seems a little more promising. )

Walt Ciechanowski

Re: Victoriana 2e and magic

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Sat May 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Under Vic 2e rules, the Normal cost is 8 - number of successes. So if you try to cast Ectoplasmic Bonds and you roll 3 successes, then your total cost is 5 points.

Some spells have an additional cost. This cost can't be reduced by successes. Cure has a 4 + Normal cost. If you rolled 3 successes, then your cost is 5 (8-3) + the extra 4, for a total of 9 points. If you happened to get lucky and roll 9 successes, then your normal cost is 0 (8-9) but it still costs you 4 mana (the extra success does not carry over).

I hope that helps!

Walt
Walt Ciechanowski
Victoriana Line Developer
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

Mirar

Post by Mirar » Sat May 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks!

The errata would be that the example would be "(3+8)" then.

That means a new character can never cast more than 3 spells a day (3 presence +1 = 24 mana points), or 4 with "mana manipulator"?
Pretty boring...

Walt Ciechanowski

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Sun May 26, 2013 1:38 am

Mirar wrote:Thanks!

The errata would be that the example would be "(3+8)" then.

That means a new character can never cast more than 3 spells a day (3 presence +1 = 24 mana points), or 4 with "mana manipulator"?
Pretty boring...
Not necessarily.

First, I'm not sure how you made your calculation. Mana is based on Resolve, not Presence. A Rank 1 character with a 3 Resolve would only have 18 mana.

Second, the cost of each spell is variable; some are simply Normal (8 - number of successes) while others have a permanent mana cost as well.

Third, Mana Manipulator doesn't grant you extra mana; it merely reduces the final cost of the spell.

Fourth, Mana can be recovered during the day. Granted, this is slow, but it could make the difference on a single spell.

Fifth, you can always risk Health if you run out of Mana.

By example, let's say Lady Noir has a 3 Resolve and 3 Thaumaturgy. On average, she gets 2 successes. If she casts Etheric Bolt, then on average she'll get 2 successes (as the Difficulty is 2 black dice, and on average that gets 0 successes). 8-2 = 6, so on average she gets 3 etheric bolts off before running out of mana.

However, if Lady Noir had Mana Manipulator 2, then on average it would cost her 4 points (6-2) per etheric bolt and she could get 4 off on average.

Note that both of these cases are averages. If Lady Noir is really having a good day with the dice, then she could get off 4 or 5 bolts before running out of mana.
Walt Ciechanowski
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

Mirar

Post by Mirar » Sun May 26, 2013 8:02 am

Ok, 18, not 24.

My point is that with that few amounts of castings, you'll never use them,
because you will want to save them for when you really, really need it
- that's why I said it'll become rather boring.

And why I asked what the intention was. If the intention is that magic is extremely
rare and never used, then you've succeeded. From some descriptions I gathered
that this was the idea?

It doesn't matter that much, I'm fine with having a character that doesn't use the skills
- it's the roleplay and setting I like.

Walt Ciechanowski

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Sun May 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Mirar wrote: And why I asked what the intention was. If the intention is that magic is extremely
rare and never used, then you've succeeded. From some descriptions I gathered
that this was the idea?
The design goal behind the Second Edition was to ensure that magic-using characters didn't dominate the game. In play, we discovered that it was a bit too conservative. Spells drained a lot of mana and they took too long to refresh.

In Third Edition, we made it easier. A magician with 3 Resolve can cast Aetheric Bolt 9 times before running out of quintessence (mana). An Aetheric Bolt also does 8 points of damage as opposed to 2e's Etheric Bolt's 6).

Also, Quintessence can be recovered more quickly with the Concentration skill.
Walt Ciechanowski
Cubicle 7 Entertainment