Character Journals

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
Greenlupin

Character Journals

Post by Greenlupin » Mon May 20, 2013 12:09 pm

I just thought i'd pass on an idea that my gaming group has been using.

Each player has made a livejournal for their characters and use it like a diary. one or two times a week they post, some examples have been people chronicalling their adventures so far, building up character background or simply shopping for gear so they arn't taking up everyones time during a game session.
I've heard from more than one of my players that thanks to the journals they found roleplaying much easier as they had gotten into their characters mindset better and had a reference of how they feel in some situations.

they are able to pass on messages to each other, little things like would "your character" like to see a play with me tomorrow at 6.

As the GM I decided to use this too and made a journal for passing on story hooks, clues and other things.
Generally i pose as a newspaper and post news stories to give context to upcoming adventures and once used it to ask a party member for an interview after they completed the Marylebone Mummy.
I think the best use I made from the journals was to focus on single characters and develop stories with them which can't be done at the gaming table without excluding the other players. I had just finished an adventure this week that I had spent over a month setting up with comments from a stalker to one female character.

I'd love to hear what people think of this.

wrandolph

Re: Character Journals

Post by wrandolph » Tue May 21, 2013 4:05 am

Hello,

I once ran in a Castle Faulkinberg campaign where each player had a private journal for their character. It was a blast when we took turns reading from these notebooks. (At the time we did not have Live Journal.)

My only complaint is that it became quite a chore to write everything out longhand.

Walter