Combining Fate with celestial engine

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
Faethor

Combining Fate with celestial engine

Post by Faethor » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:36 pm

As Fate can do oodles of too many things, I thought about simplifying it by breaking it down between alignments, combining the celestial engine with fate points. I haven't looked into Order / Entropy "champions" or other effects as yet.

"Scripting dice" level effects have been lowered to 4 points as I don't allow excessive accumulation of fate and don't want to exclude sub-species from the fun.

(This is a work in progress, I have yet to integrate the other fate uses). Feel free to critique.

-------
Balance

1 Fate point; Add an automatic success to a dice result prior to the roll.

4 Fate points; Reroll an action or effect roll (If roll is worse than original you can keep original roll).

Balance is simple, reliable and effective if lacking in any bells and whistles.

-------
Order

1 Fate point; Receive one point per cog of Order (in a pool), to boost failed dice results and create successes (which cannot explode).

4 Fate points; Adjust an element of the script (gm's approval).

Order encourages stability and provides intimate understanding and a degree of control over the "pattern".

-------
Entropy

1 Fate point. Roll 1 extra dice per cog of Entropy. It succeeds and explodes as a normal dice (I use 5 & 6 as successes) but acts like a black dice on a roll of 1.

4 Fate points; Miraculously save yourself from certain death (yet with likely lingering repercussions).

Entropy is powerful and thrilling yet retains its risk.
Last edited by Faethor on Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Faethor

Re: Combining Fate with celestial engine

Post by Faethor » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Having discussed it with the players they seemed to like the idea, the reasons tied into the order/balance/entropy concept scanned (order of crystallization and pattern, Harmony keeping things "just so" and Entropy powerful but risky) - It was agreed that the original fate usage was too multi-purpose and unwieldy. They like the fact that shifting allegiance has an actual effect, as does pulling further away from balance.

I have kept the use of a fate point to prevent a wound, remain conscious or survive longer to any alignment , as well as the "double point proxy effects".

Having read a lot of Michael Moorcock and played / run both Elric and Stormbringer rpg's I will likely have my own take on "champions" of Order and Entropy ... currently I see no requirement for either within my campaign.