Magic and the Law

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
Faethor

Magic and the Law

Post by Faethor » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:59 am

I am about to embark on my Aether Division campaign. I have a disgruntled hermetic inspector, a dishonest bully-boy sargent and a jolly hockeysticks female mechanist who will join the other two as a consultant.

I know that the aetheric division deal with magical infractions and artifacts, aethertech and indeed even the misuse of mechanical devices. With so many different magical paths though, does anyone have any idea over specific laws and restrictions relevant to the setting?

1) Misuse of unlicensed mechanical / magical / aetheric devices liable to cause public alarm. Items may be confiscated, restictions imposed to prevent their further creation or use?

Any other ideas?

knightofhagan

Re: Magic and the Law

Post by knightofhagan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:07 am

The Victoriana Third Edition Corebook has a pretty terrific chart on page 278 outlining common crimes and their sentences. Included are magical crimes such as Necromancy, and Demonology. The same chart is also in the Second Edition Corebook on page 46. I've been using it as a rough guide for infractions and their punishments.

Faethor

Post by Faethor » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:20 pm

I spotted that, I just wondered if anyone has any ideas for the more curious infractions of tech/aethertech/magic to flesh things out - it being a major focus of a aetheric division campaign.

Y'Know, curiously worded criminal offences the victorians were famous for.

Faethor

Post by Faethor » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 pm

Third session in and I have made practicing unlicensed magic in private a bit like the cycling on the pavement law in the UK - it's a crime but how many people actually get arrested for it?

Ergo. We know it goes on and its not advertised but we are unlikely to arrest you for it if it is discreet and done responsibly. This law exists to keep the church happy and so that if we want to arrest you for something we can - to the Bobby on the street Order being far more valuable then law.

In my third session "Neighborhood Witch" there is a ancient cranky old witch who currently seems harmless.

Smirk ... so obviously they suspect she's blofeld! :mrgreen: