Legal fees

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
rulandor

Legal fees

Post by rulandor » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:43 pm

In my new campaign, the characters are going to work for a lawyer and a private investigator, who maintain an office together. This lawyer is a solicitor, and sometimes, when an investigated case entails criminal prosecution, he calls a barrister friend who provides the defence in court.

Now, nowhere in the books I found what legal fees were typical in that age or specifically in Victoriana. Does anybody have some historical background knowledge about what typical legal fees had to be spent on lawyer services in 1867's London?

cjbowser

Re: Legal fees

Post by cjbowser » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:35 am

This site with absolutely no footnotes says it's a guinea per court appearance...

http://vcp.e2bn.org/justice/page11444-lawyers.html

I'll keep looking, though.

rulandor

Re: Legal fees

Post by rulandor » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks a lot for that link! It is at least a starting point for doing some imaginative work.

If an appearance at court is worth 1 Guinea (and, as I learned, solicitors did and do appear at court, with the exception of high courts), then a solicitor who continously does legal work for a client (business deals, sales and purchases, investments, heritage) could perhaps charge 10 or 15 pound a year, I presume? In the case of investments, perhaps charge 5 % of profits?

As barristers historically didn't have the right of direct client consultation, a separate barrister's office seems redundant. So, I am considering a new construction for the law firm that the characters are going to work for: it is a law firm owned in equal measures by a solicitor and a barrister. They keep a consultant private investigator on hand, who has her own office in the firm, but no ownership in the law firm.