Martial arts in Victoriana

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
Burnwardman

Martial arts in Victoriana

Post by Burnwardman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:21 am

Hi
has anyone considerd adding skills like Baritsu, judo, or karate or even catch wrestling to Victoriana?. Many of thease arts were available to the english in the 1860s. I know Baritsu didnt come around till the 1890s but I think it could fit the game. Any suggestions as to how to house rule any of this whould be greatly apreciated .

forummr

Re: Martial arts in Victoriana

Post by forummr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:05 am

I think Martial Arts in RPG are more the art of telling great things then doing them in form of rules. You already have some Talents that push your Fisticuffs Skill like 'Pugilist'.
If you want to make some stunts, like going up the wall, make a salto and landing behind the enemy you should make that with your Athletics-Skill.
Wrestling you could make with things like Grabble and Talents like 'Iron Grip'.
If you have something in mind like a far-east Ninja-Monk with lightning-fast fists you could think about generating a new talent like:
"Lightning Fists
When attacking with Fisticuffs and not moving in the round, you may make an extra attack throw without splitting your pool." (Inspiration: Flurry of Blows from Pathfinder /D&D 3.5)

That where my first thoughts about it. Hopefully it's some inspiration.

Burnwardman

Re: Martial arts in Victoriana

Post by Burnwardman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:57 pm

That could work, thanks.