Comments and questions after reading the 3e rules

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
Jetpack

Re: Comments and questions after reading the 3e rules

Post by Jetpack » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:07 pm

I wrote down the name Streets of Shadow. From checking Amazon, looks like this is not a PDF, and is actually a book of adventures coming out in a few months. So I must have misread this.

I'll ask another question, though. What is a Steppegoblin? I've seen them referred to a couple of times, but not sure what they are.

Thanks for answering my questions personally!

Walt Ciechanowski

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:57 am

You're welcome!

Streets of Shadow is the next book in the line. You can use The Spring-Heeled Menace as an introductory penny dreadful for it.

Steppegoblins are a subspecies that is more common in Russia and Central Asia; they appear to be silver-haired Eldren. They are given a full treatment in The Outsiders pdf.
Walt Ciechanowski
Victoriana Line Developer
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

DynodragonHello

Post by DynodragonHello » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:54 pm

A few more questions

Having a bit of trouble visualising how to run combat with people declaring actions, say the initiative order is pc1, npc1, pc2 and then npc2. Does pc1 declare to shoot npc2, then npc2 declare duel and move and then npc1 declare.... Or npc2 declares it actions, then pc2, npc1 and then pc1?

The explosion table on page 174 appears to be a duplication of the table on page 173 about scatter.

Several mentions about Liberators/Templars, are all pcs/sapients automatically these depending on the cog position without any other special action?

The web site advertises Dragonmeet con, are there any plans for a Victoriana game?

Walt Ciechanowski

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:23 am

Lets take the easy ones first:

- The table did get mixed up in layout. I've amended the errata above.

- Technically, yes, they are Liberators or Templars simply by having the appropriate cogs. This is, however, a celestial designation and only archons (angels, demons, old gods, etc) would likely use it, and probably not until a sapient has reached Cog 3.

- I'm not sure if Victoriana is being run at Dragonmeet. I'll look into it.

Now, for initiative order:

Initiative really only gets complicated with multiple actions. That said there are two ways that I typically use to handle it:

1. Have the characters with the lowest initiatives declare first, enabling those with higher initiatives to know what everyone else is doing before they declare actions; or

2. Highest initiative declares first, but may amend their actions based on later declarations. Using your example, PC1 decides to attack NPC2. NPC 1 then declares she is attacking PC1. PC1 now has the option of changing her action to attack NPC1 instead, splitting her pools so she can attack both NPCs, or simply allow NPC1 to have a free shot on him as he keeps his attack against NPC2.
Walt Ciechanowski
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

rulandor

Post by rulandor » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:47 pm

A question about Shapeshifter creature quality:

Which attribute goes with Shapeshifting skill?
What is an "MC roll" (p. 294) under "Shapeshifter"

Aren't the Range difficulty modifiers on p. 172 a bit high? Nobody is going to hit anything beyond 4 yards.
I tend to make all steps one difficulty category more easy (difficult to average and so on).
Surprised the playtesters went with the table. Oh, well.

Walt Ciechanowski

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:10 am

MC is Mental Competence, or 'Mental' in the stat block. This is what a creature rolls for shapeshifting. If you want an actual attribute I'd go with Resolve.

As for the range modifiers, 1st edition did exactly as you propose. However, in 1st edition one cannot dodge a ranged attack without doing an 'All-Out-Dodge.' 2nd Edition split the difference by allowing at least partial dodges and 3rd edition continues that trend.

That said if you want adventurers and their opponents to hit more often then I don't think lowering the difficulty is going to unbalance things. If you want to be really ruthless you can eliminate ranged dodges as well, making firearms particularly lethal!
Walt Ciechanowski
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

JanSchmied

Post by JanSchmied » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:34 pm

Hallo, I`m new to this form of comunikation, so just one question: wher can I get the The Outsiders pdf. and the rules for Steppegoblins?
Thank`s Jan

Walt Ciechanowski

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:30 pm

JanSchmied wrote:Hallo, I`m new to this form of comunikation, so just one question: wher can I get the The Outsiders pdf. and the rules for Steppegoblins?
Thank`s Jan
Welcome!

The Outsiders pdf is here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/97856/Vic ... +Outsiders. This is the 2nd edition version.

In 3rd edition, we've made Steppegoblins more explicitly a variety of Eldren - Planar Empathy grants them Mysticism (see Liber Magica) rather than Clairvoyance or Spiritualism.

Walt
Walt Ciechanowski
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

JanSchmied

Post by JanSchmied » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:48 pm

great thanks :D