Need HELP with a convention demo game

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
cleddyfwr

Need HELP with a convention demo game

Post by cleddyfwr » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi All,

On the weekend of July 25th I will be running a 4 hour Victoriana game at Space City Comic Con in Houston, TX. I have never played or ran a game of Victoriana before, but because I love Cubicle 7's products so much I want to start running game demos at local conventions and game stores to get interest in Cubicle 7's products. I will also be running Rocket Age at the Con under the same circumstances and I will be posting on that forum as well.

Here's what I need help with please: Can somebody point me in the direction of an adventure that would be suited to a 3 1/2 hour block of time (I need 1/2 hour to explain the game). From what I can tell with all the adventures in the various books they are geared more towards 2-3 game sessions. Or perhaps does anybody have any suggestions on trimming down one of the adventures to fit a 3 1/2 hour block.

Since I'm learning 2 rulesets before that time, I really don't have a ton of time to create adventures from scratch and test them for a 3 1/2 hour block.

Also any suggestions on running Victoriana at a Con would be great too.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Byron

Walt Ciechanowski

Re: Need HELP with a convention demo game

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Hello!

We're thrilled that you're promoting Victoriana!

You actually have several official options.

The Spring-Heeled Menace is an introductory penny dreadful that I ran in a 4-hour block. Similarly, the earlier introductory adventures, White Wedding and Spiritual Matters can also be run in that time.

The penny dreadfuls in The Havering Adventures were actually run in 4-hour blocks at conventions (the second one, Behold the Valiant Ones Shall Cry was run in a 2 hour slot).

The Marylebone Mummy, The Hound of Hate, and The Devil in the Dark are all doable in 4 hours. I ran a group through each of them within four hours each.

The first adventures in Streets of Shadow and The Concert in Flames can also be accomplished in 4 hours, but they may need a bit more tweaking than the others.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Walt
Walt Ciechanowski
Victoriana Line Developer
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

cleddyfwr

Post by cleddyfwr » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 am

Thanks so much Walt,

It looks like it will be the Spring Heeled Menace.

Any other suggestions you may have for running Victoriana and in particular Spring Heeled Menace at a Con would be great.

Take care,

Byron

cleddyfwr

Post by cleddyfwr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:38 am

Hi Walt,

I was trying to play test a combat scenario and it created a question about resolution. Although I'm sure the answer to my question is staring me right in the face in the rulebook, i'm somehow missing it.

When a PC attacks a NPC with a gun, sword, fists, etc., what attribute do I use to determine the dice pool for the NPC's defense? In my test I was trying to attack the Spring-Heeled Jack - Beastman robber in the Spring Heeled Menace Penny Dreadful (Stats Below):

Spring-Heeled Jack - Beastman robber
Physical: 8 Initiative: 4 Mental: 4 Health: 10 Social: 3 Quintessence: 6
Armour Value: 2 (lined waistcoat)
Damage: large club (7), dart gun (1)

Would it be 8 dice for the physical attribute?

I have the same question for the reverse as well. If the Beastman Robber attacks the PC with the club or dart gun where does his dice pool come from? Physical?

Can you please provide an explanation and perhaps the page numbers and section that clarifys this? I understand how it works on the PC's attacks and defenses, as their dice pool is associated with the attribute and skills (if applicable), but I'm somehow missing the boat for the NPC's.

Thanks so much in advance for your help on this. I also may have a couple more questions for you before I run this at the Con on Friday as well. I will post here tomorrow evening, Wednesday evening or Thursday evening if I do. Note: My timezone is 6 hours behind England.

Thanks again,

Byron

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:43 pm

I'd stick with Physical. In my understanding the Competences break down thusly:
Physical: STR, FORT, DEX
Mental: Wits, RES
Social: PRES (and Reputation)

This is not hard and fast, though. It's flexible enough to be used however you need it, but the majority of actions in a fight are going to be Physical (Attacks use DEX, Dodge uses DEX, STR is added to Melee damage etc).

The Competences are broken down on page 279-280.

Walt Ciechanowski

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:42 pm

Byron,

I'm 5 hours behind England ;)

Every roll for supporting characters uses one of the competencies. The number after the weapons is dice damage.

So, yes, in most cases you'd be rolling Physical Competence for combat stuff.

Walt

P.S. For a con game, you may want to downgrade the competencies a bit to keep things moving, like rolling 3 dice for ruffians and 6 dice for 'named' characters.
Walt Ciechanowski
Victoriana Line Developer
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

cleddyfwr

Post by cleddyfwr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 am

Thanks so much guys :)

I may have some more questions tomorrow.

So your on the East Coast USA Walt?

Would you be willing to setup a booth at a convention Next February or over Memorial day weekend in Houston, TX. It would be great to get more interest in Victoriana, as well as other Cubicle 7 games here in the Houston Area.

I think a booth that was well decorated with Victoriana/Cubicle 7 stuff with people doing quick 30 minute demos along with people doing full 4 hour block demo games would be a great thing to get more interest.

By the time February comes around I will most likely have 3-4 people that could do 4 hour demos for you. As well as a assist at the booth for some quick 30 minute type demos and other things.

Note: It would also be possible to get your own room at both conventions if you desired, that could be really decked out with Cubicle 7 stuff with enough room to have several demos being ran at once.

Take care,

Byron
Last edited by cleddyfwr on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

cleddyfwr

Post by cleddyfwr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:06 am

Gentleman (or anybody else),

Do you have any cheat sheets, that I could use and hand out to the players that would help them with the basics?

Thanks,

Byron

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:18 am

By an odd coincidence I ran a demo game yesterday as well. A savage worlds superhero game set in a middle school science fair. Mine went well, how was yours?

cleddyfwr

Post by cleddyfwr » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:40 pm

Unfortunately I had no players. :cry:

I will try again at Owl Con in February. Owl Con is supported a lot more by the RPG crowd.

Take care,

Byron