NPC Conversions 2nd To 3rd

A world of adventure in an age of sorcery and steam. Join the fight against the enemies of Queen and Empire. Battle ancient evils, uncover sinister plots, and root out predators stalking the cobble-stoned streets. Your tools are arcane magics, steam-driven marvels, and a stiff upper lip. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/victoriana/
knightofhagan

NPC Conversions 2nd To 3rd

Post by knightofhagan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:18 pm

After playing 2nd Edition for a while, our group is about the start a campaign using 3rd edition. I want to keep a lot of threads from our last campaign alive in our new adventures. This means converting quite a few Npcs. Does anyone have any hints on how to convert Npcs over to the new Edition?

Walt Ciechanowski

Re: NPC Conversions 2nd To 3rd

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:53 pm

knightofhagan wrote:After playing 2nd Edition for a while, our group is about the start a campaign using 3rd edition. I want to keep a lot of threads from our last campaign alive in our new adventures. This means converting quite a few Npcs. Does anyone have any hints on how to convert Npcs over to the new Edition?
Fairly simple, actually. First, you don't really need to, as Mental Competence can still stand in for Social Competence. The biggest issue I had with 2nd edition was the ridiculously high dice pools a minor NPC could get when compared to the average PC, so you'll probably want to stick with Competence ratings and maybe add a die or two for skills they are particularly good at.

With 3rd you're only looking at 3 scores, so you'll just want to decide if your NPC is below, average, or above in each category. I tend to use 3, 6, and 9 dice respectively as my baselines. After that you can modify according to subspecies, whether your NPC is exceptional in a certain attribute (and modify relevant stats accordingly), or has a particular talent.
Walt Ciechanowski
Victoriana Line Developer
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:15 am

Thanks Walt, that exactly what I wanted to know.
In second ed I tended to give too many skills to NPCs as I like having specifics about the basic uses of a character, but the addition of the Social Competence covers most of my needs.
The use of 3, 6, and 9 is great too. I'll stick with your advice till I get more comfortable.

You mentioned that an NPC in 2nd had better stats compared to a Player character. I agree, but I am curious what would be comparable stat-wise in an NPC to a beginning Victoriana 3rd Edition PC?
I found the sweet spot in the ranking system, and could make fairly equatable encounters (no matter what my players say). I want to be sure to have a reasonable start again.

Walt Ciechanowski

Post by Walt Ciechanowski » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:43 am

If you're looking to make NPCs on par with beginning adventurers, then ratchet down the competencies to Below being 1 or 2 dice, Average being 3-4 dice, and above being 5-7 dice.

Remember, absent talents and other abilities the best most Human adventures will have on attribute + skill rolls is 7 dice (with 4-6 dice being more likely for things they intend to be good at).
Walt Ciechanowski
Victoriana Line Developer
Cubicle 7 Entertainment

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Thank, that helps a lot.

2WheelsGood

Post by 2WheelsGood » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:37 pm

I don't suppose any of you chaps has crafted an index card size npc sheet (like the Fast And Dirty Expendables" sheet from Cyberpunk 2020)? For 2e or 3e?

Or a master NPC sheet a la MERP?

knightofhagan

Post by knightofhagan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:05 am

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but the latest post of my blog is a NPC Random Generator for 2nd Ed: http://skullduggeryinthesmoke.blogspot. ... ition.html