Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Adventure in the world of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/
Francesco
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by Francesco » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm

I have been somewhat imprecise in my answer to Bluejay.

The rules for TOR say that 'a creature automatically attempts a called shot (...) whenever the companion attacking it fails his attack roll and obtains an EYE...'. A very literal reading would notice that the text doesn't say it 'ONLY attempts a called shot whenever...' .

Now, the intent behind the rule was primarily to remove the 'responsibility ' from the LM to call for a Called shot and make the trigger automatic. In actual play this may sometimes diminish the threat posed by some creatures. So, I would suggest that each individual group should decide whether to allow the LM to trigger CS at will, or to stick to the RAW and only have them happen after a miss attack with EYE. Otherwise, an option could be to allow a creature to trigger a CS spending 1 additional Hate point.

Francesco

Francesco
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by Francesco » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Earendil wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:05 pm
What I might do is keep that house rule that Rich mentioned above for Called Shots caused by Eyes, but use the normal Called Shot rules if the adversary chooses to make one. That way Eyes still make things more dangerous.
This is a nice alternative indeed.

Francesco

bluejay
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:41 am
Location: Reading, United Kingdom

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by bluejay » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Francesco wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm
Otherwise, an option could be to allow a creature to trigger a CS spending 1 additional Hate point.
I also like this ruling!
James Semple, occasional composer of role playing music

User avatar
Falenthal
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Girona (Spain)
Contact:

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by Falenthal » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 pm

Earendil wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:05 pm
What I might do is keep that house rule that Rich mentioned above for Called Shots caused by Eyes, but use the normal Called Shot rules if the adversary chooses to make one. That way Eyes still make things more dangerous.
I'll surely go with this for now.

As said, it's a shame some creatures can't use their called shot, that are really very characteristic of them (poisons,...), and also an Eye is something to be afraid of.

I also have a house-ruled Combat Action that allow, upon success, to negate a Called Shot from an enemy. This would be perfect to use once a companion has rolled an Eye and is waiting for a Called Shot that needs no Tengwar to hit.

User avatar
Earendil
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:47 pm
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by Earendil » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Francesco wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm
Earendil wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:05 pm
What I might do is keep that house rule that Rich mentioned above for Called Shots caused by Eyes, but use the normal Called Shot rules if the adversary chooses to make one. That way Eyes still make things more dangerous.
This is a nice alternative indeed.

Francesco
Thanks, Francesco! :D
bluejay wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm
Francesco wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm
Otherwise, an option could be to allow a creature to trigger a CS spending 1 additional Hate point.
I also like this ruling!
It makes sense, but I usually find major adversaries don't seem to have enough Hate to make much use of all their cool abilities as it is, so I'd be reluctant to introduce a way to drain it from them even faster. ;)
Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!

... but you can call me Mark.

Francesco
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by Francesco » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Earendil wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm

bluejay wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm
Francesco wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm
Otherwise, an option could be to allow a creature to trigger a CS spending 1 additional Hate point.
I also like this ruling!
It makes sense, but I usually find major adversaries don't seem to have enough Hate to make much use of all their cool abilities as it is, so I'd be reluctant to introduce a way to drain it from them even faster. ;)
Yes. In fact, I think that if you choose to go this way, you might consider to raise a creature's Hate rating too. How much? The Attribute rating could be used as a measure - one third for example.

Francesco

User avatar
zedturtle
Posts: 3180
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:03 am

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by zedturtle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Francesco wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:12 pm
Earendil wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:05 pm
What I might do is keep that house rule that Rich mentioned above for Called Shots caused by Eyes, but use the normal Called Shot rules if the adversary chooses to make one. That way Eyes still make things more dangerous.
This is a nice alternative indeed.

Francesco
The thing I like about it is that when invoked, it will only ever do basic damage (since if you had rolled a Tengwar, you'd have gotten the Called Shot off instead).

Adding Hate to allowed Called Shots to be paid for with it might get tricky... adversaries with Hideous Toughness or other such things would get a big boost in potential survivability.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

SpottedBill
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by SpottedBill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:04 pm

Thank you Francesco and bluejay for clearing things up!
zedturtle wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:06 pm
The thing I like about it is that when invoked, it will only ever do basic damage (since if you had rolled a Tengwar, you'd have gotten the Called Shot off instead).
I must be missing something here. Your house rule only affects the RAW on a normal success (in RAW the attack would miss) if I understood it correctly. On a successful Called Shot the effect is in addition to normal consequences. A successful Called Shot deals damage as per a Great Success or an Extraordinary one accordingly, right?

User avatar
zedturtle
Posts: 3180
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:03 am

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by zedturtle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:08 pm

SpottedBill wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:04 pm
Thank you Francesco and bluejay for clearing things up!
zedturtle wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:06 pm
The thing I like about it is that when invoked, it will only ever do basic damage (since if you had rolled a Tengwar, you'd have gotten the Called Shot off instead).
I must be missing something here. Your house rule only affects the RAW on a normal success (in RAW the attack would miss) if I understood it correctly. On a successful Called Shot the effect is in addition to normal consequences. A successful Called Shot deals damage as per a Great Success or an Extraordinary one accordingly, right?
Right. What I meant (and it was worded poorly) was that the Called Shots RAW would then be invoked, so you'd do damage and whatever Called Shot effect applied. Sorry for the confusion.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

SpottedBill
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Tips for fighting Tyulquin (DoM spoilers)?

Post by SpottedBill » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:22 pm

zedturtle wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:08 pm
Right. What I meant (and it was worded poorly) was that the Called Shots RAW would then be invoked, so you'd do damage and whatever Called Shot effect applied. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for the quick reply! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't horribly misunderstanding before deciding how to run things in my own game. Cheers!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests