Lamp of the Wood-Elves

Adventure in the world of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/
Arthur Fisher

Re: Lamp of the Wood-Elves

Post by Arthur Fisher » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:46 pm

I ruled that if the elf knows the magic to make the spell and it doesn't affect her, then she probably also knows the magic which makes one immune to it.
I said she could carve a ring or a necklace or something with a rune or ward of protection from her specific elf lights. That sort of stuff shows up all the time in Celtic mythos.
That way, if I want to fiddle with it, I can say the charms got stolen or they don't work for some reason.

Saying that the ability always works on the other party members means that the rest of the party isn't going to want the elf to use an ability she spent a Fellowship Phase and XP on. So she's either going piss off the rest of the party or have a useless ability; because an ability you don't use is indistinguishable from an ability can't use.
Frankly, I've found it's not really that powerful. Almost every creature has Hate to spare or a leader with Commanding Voice. It's a very situational power.

Blubbo Baggins

Post by Blubbo Baggins » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:08 pm

One more question for everyone:

When dousing the lamp, it causes one round of Weariness to everyone nearby.

Should that take an action? Part of me thinks no, because if you give up your entire action to cause (at most) 3 enemies (mortals only) to be Weary for a round, then it would be only circumstantially helpful, instead of generally helpful (and again, you spent Hope to use this ability). In a big battle where every PC is engaged by 2 enemies, if you douse the lamp then the 2 your Elf was engaged with are now Weary. Sure they might miss you now, but you won't be able to attack them to take advantage of their Weariness. In a small battle against a big foe it could really help, but only against a foe like a giant spider, great orc, or troll. Against something bigger, like a Dragon, Undead, or Nazgul, it would do nothing, since those are not "Mortal."

So, should dousing the lamp cost your entire turn?

aramis

Post by aramis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Blubbo Baggins wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:08 pm
So, should dousing the lamp cost your entire turn?
No... but it should affect your turn with weariness...

Blubbo Baggins

Post by Blubbo Baggins » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm

It doesn't affect you; you're not a mortal.

aramis

Post by aramis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Blubbo Baggins wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm
It doesn't affect you; you're not a mortal.
You're literally snuffing a small part of your soul...

Blubbo Baggins

Post by Blubbo Baggins » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:29 pm

But you had to spend Hope to light it, which represents the "soul" part, does it not?

aramis

Post by aramis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Blubbo Baggins wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:29 pm
But you had to spend Hope to light it, which represents the "soul" part, does it not?
there, you're giving it a life of its own... which you then snuff out.

Very tolkien to be wearied when your creation is destroyed.

Blubbo Baggins

Post by Blubbo Baggins » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Lol, by that logic you should also be Weary once you've created it.