Men of Minas Tirith and the drawbacks of Advanced Cultures

Adventure in the world of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/
doctheweasel

Men of Minas Tirith and the drawbacks of Advanced Cultures

Post by doctheweasel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:27 pm

So it's just now hitting me that the drawback for Men of Minas Tirith simulates the higher cost for Valor and Wisdom that the Rangers of the North have to pay. They have a taste of being an Advanced Culture without having all the drawbacks.

In my game, though, I don't use the modified experience point costs for Rangers and High Elves. Should I just remove it from MoMTs also? Should there be a replacement drawback to balance things out?

Thoughts?

Southron Loremaster

Re: Men of Minas Tirith and the drawbacks of Advanced Cultures

Post by Southron Loremaster » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:48 pm

I agree with you about not using the altered experience table. Aside from some attempt to curb power gaming or have cultural balance the experience table coupled with the other drawbacks is too extreme. As cultures I like the Rangers of the North and the Men of Minas Tirith, but I really feel like I can't enjoy playing them as I feel their handicaps are forced and not fun. The one for the High Elves is not bad ( minus the altered experience chart) however, not being able to use the fellowship pool for a Ranger of the North plus longer experience gain seems almost vindictive.