An Introductory Adventure

Adventure in the world of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Learn more at our website: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/
Rue
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:00 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by Rue » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:36 am

gazery, you're in for a treat, I was lucky enough to play in zed's pbp test of it and had a ball (I was a different version of Dhuoda, and also barely lost the Torch race--rats!). I really like how differently each group has approached it, it's made for fun reading. Thanks zed, for writing up how it went.

Bradge
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:25 am

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by Bradge » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Any word on when the revision of this adventure will be posted?

User avatar
zedturtle
Posts: 3256
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:03 am

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by zedturtle » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:43 am

Bradge wrote:Any word on when the revision of this adventure will be posted?
At this point, I've decided that my desires for some 'ultimate' version will never go away, but time constraints mean that I'm not going to be able to prioritize this for a while... so I might as well release the version that I ran at Gen Con and call it the final version.

So without further ado, here it is: Theft of the Moon, final version.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

User avatar
Yepesnopes
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by Yepesnopes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:17 pm

You should be very proud of this. It is a very nice scenario, I already ran it once, and the presentation is gorgeous!

Thanks!

Elmoth
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by Elmoth » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:47 am

Great work! Something worthy of being compiled in a resources list for sure.

A very nice adventure. I would only suggest adding a sentence stating the number of thralls in the Falrock section. Apart from that, I consider it quite perfect to introduce the game to new players, and to highlight that killing everything is not necessarily a good option in this setting, something the original adventure in the rulebook does not seem to highlight so well. Very nice one. I might truy to run it as a solo adventure for a new player. I guess I will dispose of the thralls and make Cenric a thrall himself to accomodate for the smaller party.

User avatar
zedturtle
Posts: 3256
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:03 am

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by zedturtle » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:01 am

Elmoth wrote:Great work! Something worthy of being compiled in a resources list for sure.

A very nice adventure. I would only suggest adding a sentence stating the number of thralls in the Falrock section. Apart from that, I consider it quite perfect to introduce the game to new players, and to highlight that killing everything is not necessarily a good option in this setting, something the original adventure in the rulebook does not seem to highlight so well. Very nice one. I might truy to run it as a solo adventure for a new player. I guess I will dispose of the thralls and make Cenric a thrall himself to accomodate for the smaller party.
I've added that sentence; not doing so before I released this file was a total oops on my part! Thanks for all the kind words, though.

For a solitary hero, I think even Guthred + one thrall would be tough. Of course, if the hero has a Hound or some other assistance it might be doable. I think I might do Cenric plus one thrall instead. Cenric won't be able to be very effective in the fight (since he won't be able to go Rearward) but he still has a decent Sword skill.

I'd love to hear how it goes, in any case.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Elmoth
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by Elmoth » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:21 pm

Hi there!

Just an update.

I ran the adventure for a Dale player playing solo. Tower shield + swordmaster gave him the defensive values needed to face several enemies by himself, but barely. I downgraded the enemies to cenric + 2 thralls in the final encounter. She (the player) managed to talk along his adventure, and only came to blows in the final confrontation, and she did so against her will. It was quite cool, actually. Nice adventure :)

User avatar
zedturtle
Posts: 3256
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:03 am

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by zedturtle » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Elmoth wrote:Hi there!

Just an update.

I ran the adventure for a Dale player playing solo. Tower shield + swordmaster gave him the defensive values needed to face several enemies by himself, but barely. I downgraded the enemies to cenric + 2 thralls in the final encounter. She (the player) managed to talk along his adventure, and only came to blows in the final confrontation, and she did so against her will. It was quite cool, actually. Nice adventure :)
Awesome! Glad to know that y'all had fun. How did she handle the thralls in the end?
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Elmoth
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by Elmoth » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:27 am

I dismissed Guthred from the scene, as there was only one PC. The opposition was Cenric and 2 thralls. I did play cenric as having Sword 3 but no bow, so he was a frontline fighter.

The thieves were afraid of Cenric (he was substituting Guthred's role after all), that forced them to attack. Using Insight the character was able to recognize that (it was obvious to the player already) and centered his attacks on Cenric until he went down. The character took a pair of blows in the process, but nothing serious. Once Cenric was down, the character used Battle to cow the thralls down into submission. Then tied them and brought them down to Beorn for judgement. Once beaten they were quite miserable since they had not managed to achieve the objective and feared for their families. Beorn recognized that. It seems there might be an incoming raid on Viglund's lands in the near future since now there are 2 guides with revenge on their minds available...

The player liked the story, even if it left a sour taste in her mouth. The outcome for the thrall's families is a let down when you have done the "right" things. She even considered giving the Moon to the thralls and let them escape, but in the end she did not.

User avatar
Falenthal
Posts: 2195
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:46 am
Location: Girona (Spain)
Contact:

Re: An Introductory Adventure

Post by Falenthal » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:45 am

Elmoth wrote: The thieves were afraid of Cenric (he was substituting Guthred's role after all), that forced them to attack. Using Insight the character was able to recognize that (it was obvious to the player already) and centered his attacks on Cenric until he went down. The character took a pair of blows in the process, but nothing serious. Once Cenric was down, the character used Battle to cow the thralls down into submission. Then tied them and brought them down to Beorn for judgement.
That's a great way of roleplaying a fight! And I'd also said that it is very tolkienesque, and a brilliant use of Common Skills in Combat.

Congratulations to both you and your player.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Stormcrow and 11 guests