Is AiME hurting ToR?

Adventure in the world of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Learn more at our website:

Re: Is AiME hurting ToR?

Post by Pen242 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:14 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:00 pm
Pen242 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:52 pm
Jon Hodgson wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:33 pm
Judging by the slightly alarmingly high level of sales of the back-in-stock TOR screen overnight, I would say AME has done great things for TOR.
That's great news.

Don't get me wrong. I love ToR and have no animosity towards AiME.

ToR i's a beautiful game in it's mechanics and layout. I'm actually amazed by it. I'm just having trouble finding a game. Everyone online and locally (NC) seems to be playing AiME instead of ToR.

Hopefully, your forums here will help me find one : )
Totally understood, and no negative inference was taken. One of the reasons we made AME was the sheer number of people we met at conventions who just won't touch a new system. Which is a lasting sadness, because there's some amazing things to discover in TOR! But then hey, we also understand the pressure on people's time too.

Understood on both parts. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

Looking forward to many journeys in ToR!

Post by Agnot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:49 pm

I agree with Jon's sentiment that AiMe likely brought more people into the game and increase their revenue as well. Which means more books for everyone. Woot!

Like you, I live in a fairly isolated area where role-players are hard to come by. However, I've been fortunate over the years to make many close friends who also enjoy gaming. Even though we are somewhat scattered to the four-winds these days, we finally bit the bullet and agreed to meet face-to-face once a month or so to play through the Darkening of Mirkwood. It's a scheduling nightmare, but sooooo worth it.

I wish you the best of luck finding a group because, as you said, TOR is easily the best incarnation of Tolkien's work I've ever seen.

Blubbo Baggins

Post by Blubbo Baggins » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Pen242 -

Are you interested in online play live (roll20) or PbP?

If the latter I can show you a site I play on with some pretty active games (the GM & players post 2-3x/week at least).

Post by Wbweather » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:50 pm

Some of us still run live games. I have had an online game one going strong for nearly 4 years. Check out the unofficial Discord channel at There is pretty active discussion of online games and availability there on a daily basis.