Moria

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Glorelendil

Re: Moria

Post by Glorelendil » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:39 am

kiwihiker wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:09 am
Yeah, ICE's Moria book was great
Sort of....

I fully expect Gareth and Francesco to set a new benchmark, though.
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

kiwihiker

Post by kiwihiker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:03 am

Glorelendil wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:39 am
kiwihiker wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:09 am
Yeah, ICE's Moria book was great
Sort of....

I fully expect Gareth and Francesco to set a new benchmark, though.
One can certainly hope. I'd love some great visuals and maps to help set the adventuring and combat scene with my players.

Tokentaker

Post by Tokentaker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:33 am

SHUT UP!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is going to be awesome!!!!!!!

The old ICE product was incredible. IF anyone can top it, it’s C7!

Enevhar Aldarion

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 am

Jeffrywith1e wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:16 am
How has C7 done these kinds of releases before? Kickstarter? Or has there never been something like this before?
This will be the first box set for TOR or AiME and I do not know if they have done any box sets for their other games. Nothing for TOR or AiME has ever gone the KS route, thankfully, as I hate KS and other platforms like it. For all we know there may be a clause in the contract to produce the Middle Earth setting that forbids anything to be done on KS. After all, everything has to be reviewed and approved by Middle Earth Enterprises before it can go to print and that would be hard to do with stretch goals and all that crap.

Enevhar Aldarion

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:00 am

BraveSir Paul wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:04 pm
Really excited for this - loved ICE's Moria book, and I cant wait to see what Cubicle 7 does with the setting.

I wonder if the Balrog will be down in the depths for brave (foolish) adventurers
One thing to remember for this versus the old MERP books for Moria, while all MERP books were set primarily in TA 1640 or so, and while their Moria books also gave info post-release of the Balrog, this box set will be all about what Moria is like in the years between The Hobbit and LotR, as that is what their contract to produce the setting allows. But that does mean we will probably have an adventure in there where we can go along with, or search for, the Dwarf attempt to retake Moria, since that happened in this time frame. If they can give us adventures meant for just Rohirrim characters (in a book just for TOR so far), then I am sure they can give us an all-dwarf adventure into Moria. :)

kiwihiker

Post by kiwihiker » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:44 am

So when the Fellowship rocks up, there truly could be roaring fires, malt beer, red meat off the bone waiting for them. Nice.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 am

We know from Tolkien's legendarium that Gandalf and Aragorn each separately visited Moria before Balin's attempt to recolonize it. Gandalf went in search of Thrain, probably years before Thorin Oakenshield's quest. Aragorn's visit is much more mysterious as we do not know either when or why he was there. It does seem very unlikely, though, that it could have been connected to the search for Gollum. Might an adventure in the boxed set touch on this?
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:24 pm

The prospects look good.

The ICE's second edition of Moria was good, but I think the time frame will be better this time. But talk about bad guys around every corner... you could have a plethora of encounters just walking around that place.

I look forward to seeing what they do, I have noticed that the TOR boards are more full of "let's keep them separate" but I don't see that as much over on this board.

:ugeek:

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Wanton wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:24 pm
I have noticed that the TOR boards are more full of "let's keep them separate" but I don't see that as much over on this board.
Not really true, that, to be honest. It's been discussed but on balance the predominant view is "don't have a problem" [with the boxed set having both rulesets]. If you read all the comments there you'd see that. Even the more critical viewpoints, mine included, are accepting it makes commercial sense for a boxed set to combine for both systems - it's what that will look like (split system books, shared system book, etc) that I'm interested in knowing. At the end of the day, the TOR players are pretty relaxed in general to AiMe considering the circumstances of its creation (somewhat out-of-the-blue for the fan base), the history of dual statting RPGs (not good), and the fact that the new system is based on the industry's only 800lb gorilla. We could be a lot more sensitive/jumpy! :)
Last edited by Rich H on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 am
We know from Tolkien's legendarium that Gandalf and Aragorn each separately visited Moria before Balin's attempt to recolonize it. Gandalf went in search of Thrain, probably years before Thorin Oakenshield's quest. Aragorn's visit is much more mysterious as we do not know either when or why he was there. It does seem very unlikely, though, that it could have been connected to the search for Gollum. Might an adventure in the boxed set touch on this?
I think that would be a pretty cool idea. At the end of the day there could be a number of reasons for adventuring in Moria so options could be given for Loremasters to select and tailor depending on the interests of their Fellowship of PCs. I've always loved the idea of a group of Dwarves, even accompanying Balin, adventuring in Moria. Sure, we know the outcome but the journey to that doomed end would be an amazing ride. :twisted:
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318