Moria

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Rich H

Re: Moria

Post by Rich H » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:18 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:41 am
Enevhar Aldarion wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:38 pm
Meanwhile.....on the TOR forum.....
Yeah, I noticed that......I have a lot of respect for the guys over there, so I'm not going to be snarky.
... whereas bitchy comments in a neighbouring sub-forum are far better, eh? ;) :) No worries though, we all get very emotional over our RPGs - investing so much love and time into them does these kinda things.

I posted earlier in this thread. All I'm seeing on the same thread on the TOR forum is the usual (tiresome) discussion about whether the Balrog has wings or not (and, if it does, whether they are real or not). There are a mere handful of people that have expressed a dislike of combining books/systems, if that many, but I think a total one person, that's one person, has said if that happens then they're done with the game. So, that's one person with an, I'm outta here, response. Their loss. Most people have been okay with the idea - at least for the Moria book; understanding the commercials and costs of getting a boxed set produced.

I think you're both seeing things that aren't really there, at least with regards to dual system books. And for the record, I'm one of those that is against the idea outside of the boxed set.
TOR resources thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62
TOR miniatures thread: viewtopic.php?t=885

Fellowship of the Free Tale of Years: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8318

Glorelendil

Post by Glorelendil » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 pm

And that one person followed up by admitting it was hyperbole.
The Munchkin Formerly Known as Elfcrusher
Journey Computer | Combat Simulator | Bestiary | Weapon Calculator

Corvo

Post by Corvo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:00 pm

Enevhar Aldarion wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:38 pm
BookBarbarian wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:29 pm
ThrorII wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:54 am
Very Exciting!!

I hope that is the cover.

Love that you are releasing it as a joint AiMe/TOR product. Hopefully, once AiMe catches up, all the products will be joint products.
This is my hope too.
Meanwhile.....on the TOR forum.....
TOR grognard here, and I don't have any problem with dual-statted books or any other solution. For Moria and for any future book.
What is important for me is the quality of the product, and with Hanrahan& Nepitello as authors, I feel very optimistic.

I have read in TOR forum about people firmly opposed to a dual statted book, or worried about AiM-e "stealing" resources from TOR. Frankly, I think it's the sort of grief that you have to endure in any forum or social networks: even if you are Jesus Christ reborn and you are dispensing miracles, someone is going to hate you (and tell you in detail).

Dirk89stensrud

Post by Dirk89stensrud » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:25 pm

I don’t/never have played TOR, but I checked out the forum for this post on TOR forum and over there they seem pretty confident that a Balrog will be in it, but over here there is more pessimism it seems. Here’s to hoping we can Durin’s Bane!

Hermes Serpent

Post by Hermes Serpent » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:57 am

The information I got from the C7 seminar at Dragonmeet and personal discussion with Dom is that dual-stat stuff in Moria is because the cost of producing a box set is such that it makes sense to include both game systems but it is not likely to be anything they standardise upon.

Note that Chaosium's reasons for going with a slipcase version of the new Masks of Nyarlathotep is that some countries treat a boxed set differently tax-wise from books in a slipcase so they went for slipcased books. Might be why the original TOR was a slipcase version although the dice might have pushed that road as well. So I expect we will see a quite costly boxed set but Dom made very clear that the dual stats would not be at the customer's expense (we'd get more pages for the same price to account for the extra stat blocks).

Sales of AiME have boosted sales of TOR so there is a synergistic effect from having two games systems for a single setting.
Some TOR Information on my G+ Drive.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
"The One Ring's not a computer game, dictated by stats and inflexible rules, it's a story telling game." - Clawless Dragon

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Hermes Serpent wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:57 am
... but Dom made very clear that the dual stats would not be at the customer's expense (we'd get more pages for the same price to account for the extra stat blocks).

I think what is just about all we could ask...

:ugeek:

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 am

Good morning!
To clear up some confusion:

We're taking a modular approach to the rules sections and soaking the accompanying cost ourselves. So you will get rules for both systems, and you'll be able to remove the rules section you don't require, and rest easy knowing you paid no more for it.

So let's say (for example) Moria is a box with 4 manuals in it. One will be the rules for TOR and one will be the rules for AME. You'll be able to throw one away/give it to a friend who has different tastes in rules. The price will be for a box with 3 manuals. Because as I said, we have your back. But we also want to make a Moria boxed set.

We have no plans to convert any other forthcoming title to "dual stat", and we've never used that term officially. I have personally made it clear I dislike "dual statted" products. AME and TOR remain seperate lines as we have always said.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

ShadoWWW

Post by ShadoWWW » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 pm

I love it! Taky my money right now! :mrgreen:

Hastati

Post by Hastati » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Very much looking forward to this product. I have absolutely no problem with a dual statted box set. I think it’s a great solution to be able to produce what sounds like a fantastic set.
When I die I want the Arsenal players to lower me into my grave so they can let me down one last time.

Varon

Post by Varon » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:25 pm

People hoping for a balrog? :shock:

My players can barely handle two Attercops. :lol:

Although it could be fun to run away from a balrog. Anyways, I’m pretty excited about this.
Company of the Seven Stars: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=10326