First Copy of The Road Goes Ever On

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Jon Hodgson

First Copy of The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Jon Hodgson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm

We just took delivery of the very first print copy of The Road Goes Ever On™!

Which means it’s not far from our UK warehouse, and its also about to begin it’s transatlantic journey!

The Road Goes Ever On is packed with new material for Journeys in Adventures in Middle-earth, and comes with 4 gorgeous double-sided maps covering almost all of known Middle-earth.

You can pre-order at our store now and get the PDF free: http://shop.cubicle7store.com/The-Road-Goes-Ever-On-PDF

Or pre-order at a Bits and Mortar participating hobby store and get the PDF too.

Find out more details here: http://cubicle7.co.uk/pre-order-the-roa ... er-on-now/

Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Otaku-sempai

Re: First Copy of The Road Goes Ever On

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:58 pm

I am so conflicted! I already own a copy of Journeys & Maps for TOR, but this has so much new material that is not simply copied from that.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:58 pm
I am so conflicted! I already own a copy of Journeys & Maps for TOR, but this has so much new material that is not simply copied from that.
Looking forward to getting my copy. Is there information that should cause the new (AiME) Loremasters to purchase the TOR copy?

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Wanton wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm
Looking forward to getting my copy. Is there information that should cause the new (AiME) Loremasters to purchase the TOR copy?
Well, The Road Goes Ever On does seem to lack the section on boats, ships and travel by ship. If that wasn't incorporated in the LM's Guide then maybe it will be moved to a region guide for either the Grey Havens or Gondor.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 am

I just posted this in response to a similar question on Facebook, and I thought it might be useful to put it here too.

The question asked how the content of Journeys and Maps compares to The Road Goes Ever On:

The Road Goes Ever On has some material from TOR’s Journeys and Maps, where that material works for both systems. The ruins generator, for example, works for both with some small tweaks for AME.

Of course RGEO doesn’t have the index of places that the TOR Journeys and Maps has (we can’t create that yet, since the AME supplements needed aren’t out yet). It doesn’t have the Hazards by Region that the TOR version has, because AME Journeys work rather differently.

Boat travel was covered in brief in the AME Loremaster’s Guide, so that’s not in there. The extra information on boats and ships will appear in a later AME title more closely related geographically to the sea.

So to replace that material we’ve included loads of stuff that expand the Adventures in Middle-earth Journey rules. Which seemed appropriate.

In those rules there are 12 archetypical kinds of events that can occur on a Journey. We expand on each of those, with extra information and tools to help the AME Loremaster.

There’s also a section on gaining XP on the road, again an AME-specific feature.

And as you can see in the photos, there’s a couple of gridded battle maps for roadside camps, which might come in handy for AME Loremasters.

In summary, we took out the stuff that didn’t work for AME and replaced it with material specific to the AME rules. So it’s different, but not something that TOR players are missing out on, due to the differences in the way the rules work in each game.
Jon Hodgson
Like us on Facebook!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks, Jon. That was a much more comprehensive answer than I was able to provide. Now we can start guessing which supplement (not counting Journeys & Maps) will be the first to include an active port city (other than Esgaroth). Dibs on the Grey Havens--though Pelargir and Dol Amroth are sure to be included in a region guide for Gondor! The port of Edhellond would have been inactive after TA 1981 when Amroth of Lórien drowned, right?
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenomica

Post by Kenomica » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Cannot wait to receive my copy!

Would it be possible to add JPEG versions of the battle maps to the DriveThruRPG version (without the text, 300dpi) just like you did with the Eaves of Mirkwood battle maps?

EDIT : Mine arrived in the post today! :D

timb

Post by timb » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 pm

This arrived today along with the "Mirkwood Campaign", as well as a parcel from the Tolkien Society with magazines and Xmas card - lovely day to be a Tolkien fan :)
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 am

Kenomica wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:34 pm
Cannot wait to receive my copy!

Would it be possible to add JPEG versions of the battle maps to the DriveThruRPG version (without the text, 300dpi) just like you did with the Eaves of Mirkwood battle maps?

EDIT : Mine arrived in the post today! :D
I think that should be acheivable. Leave it with me!
Jon Hodgson
Like us on Facebook!

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 am

timb wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:52 pm
This arrived today along with the "Mirkwood Campaign", as well as a parcel from the Tolkien Society with magazines and Xmas card - lovely day to be a Tolkien fan :)
That's awesome. And clearly absolutely deliberate timing on our part.
Jon Hodgson
Like us on Facebook!