(Title) Beorn (or what would you call him)

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
quincypostman

(Title) Beorn (or what would you call him)

Post by quincypostman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 pm

A simple question here...what would Beorn's followers call him? Lord Beorn...Chief Beorn, King Beorn? It never came up I. My play session, but it may and I want to. E prepared.

Thanks,
QP
Last edited by quincypostman on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanton

Just "Beorn"

Post by Wanton » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 pm

As a reluctant ruler, I did not have him take an honorific in my world, he is simply "Beorn"

One of my temptation was to make him "kind", he is fair and does not like orcs but neither is he overly fond of dwarves or anyone so it seems. His followers though do not take on an easy life as he sets them on patrols and protection of the surrounding area. I look forward to seeing how others respond.

:ugeek:

Otaku-sempai

Re: (Blank) Beorn

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:30 pm

I think that the Beornings would refer to Beorn as their chieftain or chief, but he might insist on just being called by his name to his face. Outsiders would probably have used the honorific 'Lord'. Tolkien never calls him a king; it The Hobbit, he writes: "Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood..." And at the banquet the day before the Council of Elrond, the Dwarf Glóin told Frodo about Grimbeorn the Old, son of Beorn, who "was now the lord of many sturdy Men," never referring to either of them as a king.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm

When I read the thread title, I thought somebody was upset with Beorn. As in:

"_________ Beorn!" :twisted:
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Majestic wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm

I have to admit that when I first saw the thread title, I did think to myself “That’s a spectacularly bad idea.”
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 pm

I think Beorn would prefer no honorific, but would begrudgingly be ok with being called Chief. I think he would not like someone calling him Lord.

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:37 am

Majestic wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:55 pm

I kind of thought the same after I posted it. I have updated the title for more clarification.

QP