Please forgive my stupidity...

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
philhendry

Please forgive my stupidity...

Post by philhendry » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Hi folks,

I prefer to have all of a game's tables handy - so I usually set in and make myself a set of play-sheets, or a GM/DM/LM Screen, or both. I was looking at my home-made 5E screen and sheets, and realising that there are things on there - such as most of the magic stuff - which don't need to be included, and which will probably only confuse me in the heat of play. So I think I want to make myself an 'edited' version for use only with AiME.

I know what AiME adds to 'plain vanilla' 5E D&D - what I don't know is what it removes. Does anyone have a handy list? Or is anyone who has more experience in playing/LMing the system prepared to make a list of what isn't needed from 5E's playing rules please?

I hunted through the forum, in the hopes that someone else might even more organised/geeky than me, to no avail.

Thanks!

Mykesfree

Re: Please forgive my stupidity...

Post by Mykesfree » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:03 pm

I have played AiMe and LMed a lot. I have also DMed a lot of 5E D&D. AiMe is just additive. Any magic in Middle-earth is it's own thing as written in the LMG, or you can use 5E spells for homebrew. All conditions and mechanics are the same.

The extra advice I can give about running AiMe, is watching the action economy. Without area of effect spells, players can quickly become overrun by many CR 1 monsters, even at High Levels. There is some area of effect magic in AiMe, but as written it is very limited.

Also, AiMe makes good use of the Exhaustion rules. Given the fact that a Long Rest is rare in Middle-earth, exhaustion is something that can kill a PC without any HP loss.

Another additive part that is easily forgotten is in the backgrounds. Any bolded keyword in a character's background can be used for some added mechanical benefit. On your screen, you might need a note to remind yourself to ask your players if they have something in their background to help with an attempted task.

One last thing, Inspiration, it is a bit more developed in AiMe than is D&D. Any reminders around it, you should put on your screen.

philhendry

Re: Please forgive my stupidity...

Post by philhendry » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Thank you!