Finding and using Herbs

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Rachehamut

Finding and using Herbs

Post by Rachehamut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Hey all, I apologize if this has been discussed, but a search hasn't turned up much short of Herb Kit usage.

How do you handle a player wanting to search for herbs? Do you let them just constantly search during a journey whenever they want and give them some sort of DC to hit? I decided to use this chart, but have not come up with a good system on how and when they should be able to gather.

Another question on Hands of a Healer for Scholars. The second part reads as such "If instead you tend the creature for at least 10 minutes, binding their wounds, treating them with herbs and poultices, and offering soothing words, then you may multiply the 1d8 by your proficiency modifier. Then add your Wisdom modifier."

My Scholar believe that there should be generic herbs available to him to achieve the bonuses to his healing. I feel that is wrong, and its referring to using Athelas or something of the like. My argument being if you grind up some mint and stuff it in a gaping wound its not likely to do much.

Otaku-sempai

Re: Finding and using Herbs

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Rachehamut wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 pm
Another question on Hands of a Healer for Scholars. The second part reads as such "If instead you tend the creature for at least 10 minutes, binding their wounds, treating them with herbs and poultices, and offering soothing words, then you may multiply the 1d8 by your proficiency modifier. Then add your Wisdom modifier."

My Scholar believe that there should be generic herbs available to him to achieve the bonuses to his healing. I feel that is wrong, and its referring to using Athelas or something of the like. My argument being if you grind up some mint and stuff it in a gaping wound its not likely to do much.
On the second question, I agree with your Scholar. He should be able to assume that he has a selection of herbs in his kit that will enable him to use the Hands of a Healer ability without having to specify the exact herbs. Now, if there is a very specific need for a specific herb to combat something like a Wraith's Black Breath, that would change my opinion.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Rachehamut

Post by Rachehamut » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 pm

On the second question, I agree with your Scholar. He should be able to assume that he has a selection of herbs in his kit that will enable him to use the Hands of a Healer ability without having to specify the exact herbs. Now, if there is a very specific need for a specific herb to combat something like a Wraith's Black Breath, that would change my opinion.
So would you then rule its 10 uses of these default herbs from his herbalism kit?

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Rachehamut wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:39 pm
So would you then rule its 10 uses of these default herbs from his herbalism kit?
Yes, on the assumption that the supply mainly consists of herbs that are chosen for the general treatment of injuries, fevers, etc.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 am

I created an undertaking for this. I assume that a player-hero can buy a new healer's kit (10 uses) or make a new one during an undertaking, if he has Proficiency in Medicine or Nature, and Proficiency in a Herbalism Kit.

Undertaking: Secure a Supply of Herbs

(any companion – anywhere)
Herbs and curative plants may be found along the river banks and marshes of Wilderland.

Companions proficient in Intelligence (Nature) or Wisdom (Medicine), and profient in Herbalism kits may wander the countryside in search of such useful plants. The player-hero may make his own Healer's kit as well as make salves and potions.

Each time the Player-hero performs this undertaking they may make a roll 1d6 on the table below.

Die roll Result
1 Traveller’s Boon
Hagweed x3
Kingcup x1
Reedmace x1
2 Prodigious Recovery
Reedmace x2
White Water-lily x1
Kingcup x1
3 Healer’s Hands
Hagweed x4
White Water-lily x3
4 Joyful Wanderer
Kingcup x1
Hagweed x3 potion
5 Warrior’s Aid
Reedmace x2
White Water-lily x3
Red Water-lily x1
6 A Bountiful Harvest
Reedmace x2
Kingcup x1
Hagweed x3 potion
White Water-lily x2
Red Water-lily x1

The full properties of the different herbs, salves and potions can be found on pages 67 and 154 of the Player’s Guide.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:08 am

ThrorII wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:55 am
I created an undertaking for this. I assume that a player-hero can buy a new healer's kit (10 uses) or make a new one during an undertaking, if he has Proficiency in Medicine or Nature, and Proficiency in a Herbalism Kit.

Undertaking: Secure a Supply of Herbs

(any companion – anywhere)
Herbs and curative plants may be found along the river banks and marshes of Wilderland.

Companions proficient in Intelligence (Nature) or Wisdom (Medicine), and profient in Herbalism kits may wander the countryside in search of such useful plants. The player-hero may make his own Healer's kit as well as make salves and potions.
That sounds reasonable, though I'm not sure why you limit the search to riverbanks and marshes (or to Wilderland for that matter).

TYPO: 'profient' should be 'proficient'.

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:08 am

That sounds reasonable, though I'm not sure why you limit the search to riverbanks and marshes (or to Wilderland for that matter).

TYPO: 'profient' should be 'proficient'.
Its just fluff lifted partially from the Lake-town TOR sourcebook.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm

I see. Thanks for the reply. 8-)

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 pm
Rachehamut wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 pm

The way that I handle it is fairly simple.

A Medicine Kit (First Aid Kit, whatever it is called - book not with me) has 10 "uses" within it.
The standard Herb Kit contains 10 "doses" of generic healing herbs.

Note that they are not the same thing. The Medicine Kit contains bandages, poultices, etc etc, while the Herb Kit only contains herbs.

The "named" herbs (such as Athelas or Reedmace or etc etc) have specific uses and effects. A standard Herb Kit does not contain any of the specific named herbs. Those must be purchased or found as an undertaking. I like ThrorII's chart, although I would modify it.

Also, "generic medicinal" herbs can be found anywhere. The only time a specific location should matter is when you are looking for specific herbs.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm

MrUkpyr wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:55 pm
A Medicine Kit (First Aid Kit, whatever it is called - book not with me) has 10 "uses" within it.
The standard Herb Kit contains 10 "doses" of generic healing herbs.

Note that they are not the same thing. The Medicine Kit contains bandages, poultices, etc etc, while the Herb Kit only contains herbs.

The "named" herbs (such as Athelas or Reedmace or etc etc) have specific uses and effects. A standard Herb Kit does not contain any of the specific named herbs. Those must be purchased or found as an undertaking. I like ThrorII's chart, although I would modify it.
There is one thing here that seems oversimplified to me. The Herbalism Kit should also include tools and equipment for the preparation of herbs and herbal compounds. From Player's Basic Rules Version 0.3:
Herbalism Kit. This kit contains a variety of instruments such as clippers, mortar and pestle, and pouches and vials used by herbalists to create remedies and potions. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to identify or apply herbs. Also, proficiency with this kit is required to create antitoxin and potions of healing.
For that matter, a Poisoner's Kit would probably include many of the same tools. In-game, the first aid kit is called a Healer's Kit.