Finding and using Herbs

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
MrUkpyr

Re: Finding and using Herbs

Post by MrUkpyr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm
MrUkpyr wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:55 pm
A Medicine Kit (First Aid Kit, whatever it is called - book not with me) has 10 "uses" within it.
The standard Herb Kit contains 10 "doses" of generic healing herbs.

Note that they are not the same thing. The Medicine Kit contains bandages, poultices, etc etc, while the Herb Kit only contains herbs.

The "named" herbs (such as Athelas or Reedmace or etc etc) have specific uses and effects. A standard Herb Kit does not contain any of the specific named herbs. Those must be purchased or found as an undertaking. I like ThrorII's chart, although I would modify it.
There is one thing here that seems oversimplified to me. The Herbalism Kit should also include tools and equipment for the preparation of herbs and herbal compounds. From Player's Basic Rules Version 0.3:
Herbalism Kit. This kit contains a variety of instruments such as clippers, mortar and pestle, and pouches and vials used by herbalists to create remedies and potions. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to identify or apply herbs. Also, proficiency with this kit is required to create antitoxin and potions of healing.
For that matter, a Poisoner's Kit would probably include many of the same tools. In-game, the first aid kit is called a Healer's Kit.
First, thanks muchly O-S for saying what it is called - I do appreciate it. I always hate when I forget names.

O-S is correct, the Herbalism Kit does include the tools and equipment needed to harvest, store, and use the herbs it contains.

I think the key point is that the Herbalism Kit contains everything needed for a Scholar to use his "Hands of the Healer - 10 minute option".
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

monje29

Post by monje29 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Herbalism Kit(5e PHB p.154)
This kit contains a variety of instruments such as clippers, mortar and pestle, and pouches and vials used by herbalists to create remedies and potions.
1- Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to identify or apply herbs.
So, if you find some herbs(Take a look at Foraging rules in the DMG p.111), you can use the proficiency bonus in the kit (and suitable stat, probably INT) to determine what the herbs are(Identify) and/or apply(Probably WIS check) any beneficial herb.

2-Also, proficiency with this kit is required to create antitoxin.
This allows the character to create a natural remedy to counteract the effects of poison, given the appropriate time and ingredients to do so.

The PHB provides further info on creating an antitoxin (cost 25 Sp and 10 days of time). This is half the purchase price of an antitoxin, which is normally 50 Sp.
See "Crafting" (D&D PHB 5e p.187)

HamsterofIthlien

Post by HamsterofIthlien » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:20 pm

I have a related question regarding the collection of herbs... and prepping them for the specified (not the additional uses as found in the Scholar specialty).

In the LMG, there is an undertaking for finding a stock of herbs. But as I understand it, the players can also search for herbs here and there. So... if they can search for them along the way, why spend an undertaking? Should it just be extremely difficult to find them in the wild?

In the new Rivendell guide, there is an undertaking for finding and prepping Athelas. It details the process, the checks needed, to produce the salve. So... is that intended to mean that normally, no one can create the salve?

Or, is there intended to be a process for creating the salves, drinks, etc... from the various herbs in order to utilize them?

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 pm

I think it really comes down to what you - as LM - want for your game. I have a PC with Herbalism that will often mention that he's keeping an eye out as they travel. I will occasionally give him some of the items from the book, when appropriate, to reward him for doing this.

So even when he doesn't spend an Undertaking doing so, I might allow him to find an herb that grows in a marshy climate as they journey through fens and marshes.

But if you would rather have those rewards only happen when a PC devotes an Undertaking to it, then that's okay, too!
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Majestic wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 pm
I think it really comes down to what you - as LM - want for your game. I have a PC with Herbalism that will often mention that he's keeping an eye out as they travel. I will occasionally give him some of the items from the book, when appropriate, to reward him for doing this.

So even when he doesn't spend an Undertaking doing so, I might allow him to find an herb that grows in a marshy climate as they journey through fens and marshes.

But if you would rather have those rewards only happen when a PC devotes an Undertaking to it, then that's okay, too!
I also let my scholar sometimes find some herbs when travelling.

The key is that when he uses a full Undertaking - he finds more different types of herbs, in larger quantities.
MrUkpyr
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

HamsterofIthlien

Post by HamsterofIthlien » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 pm

And do you guys make them do any sort of check for "crafting" the salve or drink? Or just let it happen?

So far, I let our Scholar find stuff on the road. And just bake it into something he would be able to prep when they are settled in for the night (unless they were camped outside a dangerous place). No check required... just narrative.

But this would kinda make the Undertaking mentioned in the Rivendell guide kinda pointless. Unless... I allowed the undertakings to yield great quantity of collected herbs, or a great quality of crafted applications (like a version of a "Superior" Athelas salve).

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:50 pm

I suppose it would depend on the circumstances, as to whether or not I would make the character roll or not.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21 am

HamsterofIthlien wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 pm
And do you guys make them do any sort of check for "crafting" the salve or drink? Or just let it happen?

So far, I let our Scholar find stuff on the road. And just bake it into something he would be able to prep when they are settled in for the night (unless they were camped outside a dangerous place). No check required... just narrative.

But this would kinda make the Undertaking mentioned in the Rivendell guide kinda pointless. Unless... I allowed the undertakings to yield great quantity of collected herbs, or a great quality of crafted applications (like a version of a "Superior" Athelas salve).
I always make him make the crafting check - because if he messes it up then he doesn't have the herbs he thought he did.

And on a fumble - he doesn't *know* he messed it up.
MrUkpyr

HamsterofIthlien

Post by HamsterofIthlien » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:07 am

MrUkpyr wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:21 am
I always make him make the crafting check - because if he messes it up then he doesn't have the herbs he thought he did.

And on a fumble - he doesn't *know* he messed it up.
What check are you having him do? 5e crafting rules are slim and set in Downtime activities. This is part of the reason I just handle in narratively. But I think a straightforward check might make it more interesting.

Enevhar Aldarion

Post by Enevhar Aldarion » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:39 am

MrUkpyr wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 pm
Majestic wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:05 pm

I also let my scholar sometimes find some herbs when travelling.

The key is that when he uses a full Undertaking - he finds more different types of herbs, in larger quantities.
To expand on this, I would never let a character find any of special or rare plants without an Undertaking. Common stuff that might be useful could be spotted as the party travels or forages for food, but the more special plants are just that, special, and need more effort to find.