Finding and using Herbs

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
MrUkpyr

Re: Finding and using Herbs

Post by MrUkpyr » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:48 pm
MrUkpyr wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:55 pm
A Medicine Kit (First Aid Kit, whatever it is called - book not with me) has 10 "uses" within it.
The standard Herb Kit contains 10 "doses" of generic healing herbs.

Note that they are not the same thing. The Medicine Kit contains bandages, poultices, etc etc, while the Herb Kit only contains herbs.

The "named" herbs (such as Athelas or Reedmace or etc etc) have specific uses and effects. A standard Herb Kit does not contain any of the specific named herbs. Those must be purchased or found as an undertaking. I like ThrorII's chart, although I would modify it.
There is one thing here that seems oversimplified to me. The Herbalism Kit should also include tools and equipment for the preparation of herbs and herbal compounds. From Player's Basic Rules Version 0.3:
Herbalism Kit. This kit contains a variety of instruments such as clippers, mortar and pestle, and pouches and vials used by herbalists to create remedies and potions. Proficiency with this kit lets you add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to identify or apply herbs. Also, proficiency with this kit is required to create antitoxin and potions of healing.
For that matter, a Poisoner's Kit would probably include many of the same tools. In-game, the first aid kit is called a Healer's Kit.
First, thanks muchly O-S for saying what it is called - I do appreciate it. I always hate when I forget names.

O-S is correct, the Herbalism Kit does include the tools and equipment needed to harvest, store, and use the herbs it contains.

I think the key point is that the Herbalism Kit contains everything needed for a Scholar to use his "Hands of the Healer - 10 minute option".