Maps of Moria

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
namkcor

Maps of Moria

Post by namkcor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:19 pm

The game I'm running is about to take a trip to Moria to find a weapon for Saruman. They wanted to earn his favor and the party almost indirectly destroyed Fangorn Forest a few weeks ago on their route to Isengard, so he gave them what amounts to a suicide mission to find a weapon he claims was stolen from his vault and tracked it to Moria. (This is prior to the dwarves mission to reclaim the historical items from it)

The only useable map I have found is the one on wiki showing all the levels at once with no seperations. I am hoping there might be better detailed maps of each of the levels. My plan is to have it in a locked vault that they have to solve a puzzle or two to get in.

Now of course this is for my use as they don't have anyone who's been there, nor do they have a dwarf in the party (party make up is three dunedains and a woodsman). I gave them a fellowship phase to determine what they do and plan a route (so far it's wilderland side entrance, then out the eriador side then north to riverdell).

Otaku-sempai

Re: Maps of Moria

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:46 pm

What is the source of your map?

Iron Crown published a Moria supplement for MERP back in 1984, and an expanded second edition in 1994.

Decipher published its own Moria supplement as a boxed set in 2003. I see it selling for $60 (US) and up.

Perhaps you are using the poster-map from Weta?

My impression is that you are using a map from The Lord of the Rings Online; not ideal for tabletop role-playing.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

namkcor

Post by namkcor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 pm

The poster map was the only good one i found online. The others looked like made for a video game (which one you said lotr online it made sense).

Didn't give idea on the many different levels of moria.

Malcom of Clan Ewen

Post by Malcom of Clan Ewen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:03 am

I haven't seen the WETA map personally, but I'd suggest one of the MERP maps if you can find them. I found the first edition used on Amazon for $27.99 and the 2nd edition on SCRIBD. You can also probably find a free pdf if you look hard enough.

Gilrohir Arncelevon

Post by Gilrohir Arncelevon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi there

Further to Otaku-Sempai's reply, I have a copy of the Decipher "Moria" box set and it contains a large number of maps. There is one "vertical cross section" showing the eastern and western "deeps" (the various layers of Moria). There are also a couple of large maps of the major sites described in the books as well as a lot of smaller maps which can be joined together or used singly to create any number of combinations covering the rest of the mines. The maps are all "brown and white" with squared backgrounds for scale.

Hope that helps

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Gilrohir Arncelevon wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:49 pm
Hi there

Further to Otaku-Sempai's reply, I have a copy of the Decipher "Moria" box set and it contains a large number of maps. There is one "vertical cross section" showing the eastern and western "deeps" (the various layers of Moria). There are also a couple of large maps of the major sites described in the books as well as a lot of smaller maps which can be joined together or used singly to create any number of combinations covering the rest of the mines. The maps are all "brown and white" with squared backgrounds for scale.

Hope that helps
I second Gilrohir's post. Decipher's Moria box set is amazing. It is a tool kit to allow you to create your own Moria. It highlights all 7 levels and 7 deeps, gives an abstract system for calculating Orc numbers/strengths, has a handful of sample maps, and best of all, has over 14 map templates to create floor plans of your own.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:45 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm
I second Gilrohir's post. Decipher's Moria box set is amazing. It is a tool kit to allow you to create your own Moria. It highlights all 7 levels and 7 deeps, gives an abstract system for calculating Orc numbers/strengths, has a handful of sample maps, and best of all, has over 14 map templates to create floor plans of your own.
That sounds terrific! If I was currently gamemastering, I would want a copy of that for myself.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Halbarad

Post by Halbarad » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 am

There’s a mini campaign in that Decipher Moria Box as well. It’s really only a handful of linked little scenarios around the collapse of Balin’s colony. I always thought that part could have been developed better.

Tolwen

Post by Tolwen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:17 pm

This old thread also contains some info on the topic and a short summary of what was done better in ICE's and Decipher's version of Moria - respectively.
Generally, I found the maps in Decipher's box quite uninspiring. The sheets were nicely done, but very generic and random-style.

Best
Tolwen
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for roleplaying in J.R.R. Tolkiens Middle-earth.

Other Minds now also on Facebook!

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:33 pm

That old Decipher set was the only product of theirs that I don't own (I never needed to, as a friend purchased them back when we played that game).

This discussion got me looking into it again, and I found a set for only $15 (US) on eBay. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :D
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood