Are these prices correct?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Demonskunk

Are these prices correct?

Post by Demonskunk » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 am

I ran Adventures in Middle Earth for the first time tonight, and my players balked at some of the pricing for things, it seems like an error.

120c for one day's rations? that's ridiculous. And what's more ridiculous is that it should be listed as 10s not 120c. It's the fact that it's written like that that has me questioning whether or not it's an error.

I saw a post saying that reducing the prices by a factor of 20 makes them a lot closer to 5e, but I figure things might cost differently in Middle Earth since they have less magic and stuff.

I really want input from the writers as to if this is correct or not - there isn't an Errata and I'm seriously concerned and curious.

If these are really worth 10s then each player is starting with several gold worth of food chilling in their bags, and a gold coin is supposed to be a big deal, so that doesn't seem right, and if you had a party of poor characters they would never be able to buy a single simple meal or stay in an inn because that's also 120c.

IDK, can a writer weigh in?

Katowice

Re: Are these prices correct?

Post by Katowice » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:35 am

The errata in the Loremasters Guide states that this is an error and the actual cost is 60c per day.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:43 am

Okay, I think there was a mistake and 120c was supposed to be 12c (per day), but even that seems a little high to me, being the equivalent of a Prosperous meal.

Looking at the D&D 5e OGL, the price of one day's rations (5 sp) equals the price of a meal at a Comfortable standard of living. If we can equate Comfortable with Martial in AiMe then a day's worth of rations might cost 8c (or 56c for one week).
Katowice wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:35 am
The errata in the Loremasters Guide states that this is an error and the actual cost is 60c per day.
Even 60c per day is incredibly high (and would be better stated as 5s). That's more than Bill the pony was worth when Barliman Butterbur purchased him from Bill Ferny; of course Ferny demanded three times as much. 60c per week might be reasonable.

Then again, maybe Ferny set the price! :twisted:
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 pm

Can someone provided the location of the errata sheet? :ugeek:

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:42 pm

There is a topic about errata (with the location of errata mentioned):
https://forums.cubicle7.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=9463

Maybe admins should merge those two, to avoid multiplying threads ?

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 am

Demonskunk wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:53 am
120c for one day's rations? that's ridiculous. And what's more ridiculous is that it should be listed as 10s not 120c. It's the fact that it's written like that that has me questioning whether or not it's an error.

I saw a post saying that reducing the prices by a factor of 20 makes them a lot closer to 5e, but I figure things might cost differently in Middle Earth since they have less magic and stuff.
The reduction by 20 was my thought (among others possibly). Most items in the Player's Guide follow the idea that 1 D&D gp = 1 AiMe silver penny. Therefore, 5 D&D sp (1/2 a gp) should be 6 AiMe coppers.

If you look at all the items that cost 120c, you'll see in the D&D PHB they cost 5 sp.

I truly think that there was a design change in during production of the AiMe PG and copper costs were never adjusted.

And yes, the official errata of divide by 2 is still way too high (not to mention awkward to list items as 60 coppers, instead of 5 silver pennies).

Just take every item listed in copper prices, over 12 coppers, and divide them by 20. Items that come out under 1 copper are treated as 1 copper. You'll be happier, believe me. :D

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 pm

I've always left rations as something of an abstract. Characters resupply them in downtime or a fellowship phase, presumably by trading various items from their own culture, or just include them as part of their standard of living.

It's to much of a headache for me to keep track of the minutiae.

But I'm glad someone else is looking at it.

Melfast

Post by Melfast » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 am

When this discussion came up last February or so, I developed an adjusted price list based on ThrorII's suggestions and a comparison analysis with the 5e costs. (Basically, any item that cost more than 15 times the 5e cost got reduced by a factor of 20.)

If you'd like to take a look, here's a link to the PDF that will be good for 90 days (2/9/18): https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ak88KIALsgrVh7g_R33hZZ9e3KCXqg

Comments and suggestions on how to approve it are always welcome.

Happy gaming!

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Melfast wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 am
Comments and suggestions on how to approve it are always welcome.

Happy gaming!
Just a type: You list several items with the letter "b" instead of "c" (ie: "Candle 1b", instead of "Candle 1c").

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:33 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:26 pm
Just a type: You list several items with the letter "b" instead of "c" (ie: "Candle 1b", instead of "Candle 1c").
Note that he added an extra bit of coinage to his currency: bits. 1 copper = 4 bits; a decision that I find a little questionable, though we would expect to see some variations in coinage in local use. I do have to wonder why he didn't go for the more traditional 'eight bits' associated with the Spanish silver dollar.

To Melfast: Is your 'bit' supposed to be a specific, minted coin (1 bit)? Or are you thinking of a copper piece that is designed to be divisible into fractions (as was the Spanish silver dollar)?

Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."