Are these prices correct?

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Anarfin

Re: Are these prices correct?

Post by Anarfin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:13 pm

Cutting coin to get the fraction of its value was very common practice in ancient times, dark ages and in early medieval period, because the value of the ore it was made of, was greater than the currency value of given country or ruler.
Such coins (especially silver dirhams from Cordoba Caliphate and Middle-East), sliced in half or quarters, are commonly found on archaeological sites across the Europe:
https://www.google.pl/search?q=siekanie ... 20&bih=971
Silver coins were main target of this practice, but copper coins were also cut or broken, when the trader needed to give the change.

In Poland there is even an old proverb, that something is "nie warte złamanego grosza" (not worth a broken penny) :)

Melfast

Post by Melfast » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Otaku-Sempai -- In hindsight, I see where calling them bits and taking them off the traditional eighths scale might be confusing, since people have a general familiarity with eight bits to a dollar. I figured calling them bits would evoke the idea of coin pieces with a term people would have heard, and the scale would be set expectations for their value. I may rethink calling them bits based on your question.

As Anarfin noted, it was common for coins to be cut for change in ancient and Medieval times. My idea was partially based on the halving and quartering of short and long pennies in Medieval England. Cutting coins into halves and quarters is much easier to do than eighths, especially while bartering and buying things in small villages or with other travelers on the road. I was assuming for simplicity a cp minted in Gondor has the same value as a cp minted in Dale, but I was not assuming that the designs would all include the pre-scoring found in the Spanish reals/peso/pieces of eight. Also, I wanted to keep it simpler and only deal essentially with whole pennies, half-pennies, and quarter-pennies without having to call them that or make more coins.

robertsconley

Post by robertsconley » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 pm

An English silver penny is the size of a dime. It possible to cut it into quarter but it will really had to cut it into eighths like the larger Spanish coin.

robertsconley

Post by robertsconley » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:23 pm

The authors and fans of Harn worked a long time on a price that reflected better the 12th century medieval feel they were going for in that setting. Should provide a good starting point for Middle Earth especially the for the relative price level between different goods.

https://www.lythia.com/index.php?s=price+list

They peg rations that last a ten day at 2d per day
Rations that last a month are 3d per day.

The cheapest is bread and cheese which is 1 farthing per meal. Harn pegs at a 4 farthing per silver pieces. So a week worth of bread and cheese is about 5d 1f. Compared to 14d of regular trail rations.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:57 pm

robertsconley wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:10 pm
An English silver penny is the size of a dime. It possible to cut it into quarter but it will really had to cut it into eighths like the larger Spanish coin.
That's good to know. I don't know that Tolkien imagined the Shire's silver pennies to be the same size as an English silver penny, but it seems likely to me. Thanks for the info!
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."