Hobbits and weapon size

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
quincypostman

Hobbits and weapon size

Post by quincypostman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:56 am

I am getting ready to run my first ever session of AiME. One of the things that has never set right with me was hobbits using "normal-sized" weapons. Now technically, I know that the only weapons small races are barred from weapons are those with the heavy tag. In my mind, I just can't see a hobbit being able to wield anything above a short sword effectively. Now there are certain larger weapons where I would say they could use, but would have to be used 2-handed... maybe a battle-axe, spear, or broad sword.

My question is, would I be hindering any potential hobbit characters by applying the above rules? I don't imagine there'd be many martial weapons in the shire or bree-land. Is this being too nit-picky?

Thanks,
QP

Otaku-sempai

Re: Hobbits and weapon size

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:47 am

Unlike TOR, AiMe does not seem to completely bar Hobbits from using heavy weapons. Unless I'm missing something, the rule for D&D 5e seems to apply:
Heavy. Small creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons. A heavy weapon’s size and bulk make it too large for a Small creature to use effectively.
If you want to further rule that a Hobbit can only wield a Long Sword (for example) as a two-handed weapon, that seems reasonable to me.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Otaku-Sempai has the right of it, but like he said, feel free to houserule.

namkcor

Post by namkcor » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:06 pm

The only restrictions are those items with the "Heavy" quality. Those are considered too bulky to be wielded by small size and smaller characters as per 5e rules. Damage dice doesn't change based on size as they wanted to simplify it.
So as of right now, can not use Great Shields, Great Axe, Great Spear, Heavy Scimitar, Mattock, and Great Bows.

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:39 pm

quincypostman wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:56 am

My question is, would I be hindering any potential hobbit characters by applying the above rules? I don't imagine there'd be many martial weapons in the shire or bree-land. Is this being too nit-picky?

Thanks,
QP
Concerning the first question, isn't limiting (or hindering) exactly what you wish to do? The answer, of course, is the limiting "small" characters (with hobbits being the only "small" race) would be hindering them. But your second question, is the real question. I think that depends on what you mean by "too nit-picky", my answer is "No." You are trying to bring what you consider realism into the game. In the books, Tolkien gave the hobbits all special weapons and they all seem to be able to contribute quite nicely. :ugeek:

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:55 am

Thanks Wanton. My first question should have been "would I be hindering the Hobbits to much". I'm also trying to gauge if you'd want to play in a campaign with such limits in place. For the record, even the medium sized characters won't have access to any sword they want, unless, possibly. They come from a martial culture, or one with a standing army... even then, the rank and file soldier would most likely be armed with a spear or axe. Swords will just be rare.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:55 am

quincypostman wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:55 am
For the record, even the medium sized characters won't have access to any sword they want, unless, possibly. They come from a martial culture, or one with a standing army... even then, the rank and file soldier would most likely be armed with a spear or axe. Swords will just be rare.
For any culture that can field a standing army (such as Gondor), the short sword should be pretty common, being the close-up weapon of choice for the infantry soldier. Axes would replace short swords in such cultures as the Beornings and Woodmen.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:55 am
For any culture that can field a standing army (such as Gondor), the short sword should be pretty common, being the close-up weapon of choice for the infantry soldier. Axes would replace short swords in such cultures as the Beornings and Woodmen.
Indeed. I think it fairly likely that "wilder" cultures would see more of a variety of sidearms than something like Gondor which might have something that's standard issue.

I could see Beornings and Woodmen with weapons that largely double as tools like Hunting Spears, Axes of various sizes, and similarly Hunting Knives of various sizes.

I think this was largely how migration period cultures armed their warriors and raiders.