Relief from long burdens

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Crate123

Relief from long burdens

Post by Crate123 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:51 am

The Scholar - Master Healer: Healing Lore - Relief From Long Burdens.

Am I missing something or does this ability seem over the top ?
As far as I can tell, it basically removes Shadow Points as an issue for everyone except the Master Healer.

namkcor

Re: Relief from long burdens

Post by namkcor » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:11 pm

Well it depends on how often you allow long rests. Most cases they are few and far between unless they group opened a lot of sanctuaries and planned their route taking it into account. and even then its one creature each time, and sometimes shadow gain can outpace that power easily with rolls. It helps with someone on the verge of passing a threshold to delay the shadows grip on that person.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:28 pm

A company doesn't need to reach a Sanctuary to have a long rest, but it does help immensely. They do need to be in a place of relative comfort and safety.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

lord dynel

Post by lord dynel » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:28 pm
A company doesn't need to reach a Sanctuary to have a long rest, but it does help immensely. They do need to be in a place of relative comfort and safety.
This is true, though the default rule (p. 50 of the LMG) seems to state that long rests aren't allowed on journeys at all. Options exist for LMs to allow them, of course, like the ones you mention. I'm not sure if rules have come out since that have amended that. My point is, as namkcor was mentioning, keeping long rests true to the standard rule keeps the the ability in check.

Also remember that Relief from Long Burdens states that you have to spend the entirety of the long rest using this ability, meaning nothing else can be done by scholar or the recipient (other than resting, of course).

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:31 pm

I agree.... too many options are available during the fellowship phase to spend it getting rid of corruption points and long rest are not supposed to be easy to come by. But Shadow points can be super easy to get. In my campaigns, it depends on HOW they get their shadow points. If they get them from poor rolls during the journey phase and in general try to be "good", I like the option of being able to make it a little easier on them. :ugeek:

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

lord dynel wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:20 pm
the default rule (p. 50 of the LMG) seems to state that long rests aren't allowed on journeys at all. Options exist for LMs to allow them, of course, like the ones you mention. I'm not sure if rules have come out since that have amended that. My point is, as namkcor was mentioning, keeping long rests true to the standard rule keeps the the ability in check.
Yes, characters cannot take long rest during journeys by default.
On the other hand, there are few ways to do it, regardless of opened sanctuaries.
Full discussion here:
https://forums.cubicle7.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=9415

lord dynel

Post by lord dynel » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Anarfin wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm
lord dynel wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:20 pm
the default rule (p. 50 of the LMG) seems to state that long rests aren't allowed on journeys at all. Options exist for LMs to allow them, of course, like the ones you mention. I'm not sure if rules have come out since that have amended that. My point is, as namkcor was mentioning, keeping long rests true to the standard rule keeps the the ability in check.
Yes, characters cannot take long rest during journeys by default.
On the other hand, there are few ways to do it, regardless of opened sanctuaries.
Full discussion here:
https://forums.cubicle7.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=9415
Absolutely. It's perfectly okay to break a journey into smaller ones as suggested on page 168 of the PG. There's also a result on the events table that allows for a long rest during a journey, which is nice to get, in addition to those other features you mentioned in the other thread.