Gaining a Patron

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Katowice

Gaining a Patron

Post by Katowice » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:01 pm

How does the group actually gain a Patron? I see there are Fellowship Undertakings involving Patrons, but I can't find how they actually gain one.

Katowice

Re: Gaining a Patron

Post by Katowice » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 am

I found it on p. 154 of the LMG:

"Player-heroes can make an undertaking to gain a Patron. Patrons are important figures within Middle-earth who have the power and resources necessary to take on Player-heroes as their agents in the world."

Katowice

Post by Katowice » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Couple more questions:

1. Does the entire Company have to use their Undertaking to Gain a Patron or Meet with a Patron?
2. Can you take a Patron without Opening a Sanctuary where the Patron is located?

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Katowice wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:24 pm
Couple more questions:

1. Does the entire Company have to use their Undertaking to Gain a Patron or Meet with a Patron?
2. Can you take a Patron without Opening a Sanctuary where the Patron is located?
1. Patrons probably should be met during the Adventure phase. The undertaking represents spending downtime with the patron, 'getting to know him' and getting him/her to trust you and call you 'friend'.

2. Yes. In those cases, I'd treat the patron more as a 'business contact' than a friend. They give adventure hooks to the party, provide assets, but the characters are not on such good terms that they might spend weeks at a time sleeping on his/her couch.... :lol:

Katowice

Post by Katowice » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm

When you spend time with the Patron during a Fellowship Phase, does it have to be the whole Company or can it be just one player-hero? (Open Sanctuary, for example, must be done by all.)

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:28 am

Katowice wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm
When you spend time with the Patron during a Fellowship Phase, does it have to be the whole Company or can it be just one player-hero? (Open Sanctuary, for example, must be done by all.)
that would be a Loremaster's call. Since having a patron benefits the entire company, I'd personally rule that it should be a company undertaking.

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 pm

ThrorII wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:28 am

that would be a Loremaster's call. Since having a patron benefits the entire company, I'd personally rule that it should be a company undertaking.
ThrorII,
I agree with you absolutely. Here is a follow-up question. What if one or some part of the company already has this patron? Or just one of the party needs to add this patron? I allowed this player to do something different assuming that he did not have to put forth the same effort in the fellowship phase as this was already his patron. :ugeek:

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Wanton wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 pm
I allowed this player to do something different assuming that he did not have to put forth the same effort in the fellowship phase as this was already his patron. :ugeek:
Same here (also in case of sanctuaries).

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Wanton wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 pm
ThrorII,
I agree with you absolutely. Here is a follow-up question. What if one or some part of the company already has this patron? Or just one of the party needs to add this patron? I allowed this player to do something different assuming that he did not have to put forth the same effort in the fellowship phase as this was already his patron. :ugeek:
Well, I see two options (although there are probably more): 1. Tell the rest of the companions they need to spend an undertaking to gain the patron as well, because of further thought on your part; or 2. Automatically give the rest of the companions the patron for free THIS TIME, and tell them from now on it is a group undertaking.