Spoilers: LoreMaster Only!: of Leaves & stewed hobbit

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Wanton

Spoilers: LoreMaster Only!: of Leaves & stewed hobbit

Post by Wanton » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Fellow Loremasters :D ,

I have a group of 4 to 5 (someone will usually miss for work or some other legitimate reason, my players are all pretty faithful) 2nd Level Characters and we are going through the adventure book.

In reading over the "of Leaves & stewed hobbits", I see absolutely no way for my second level player-heroes to make it successfully. So obviously, I'm considering a separate adventure where they at least get to third level, but am looking forward to this adventure, so I'm eager to run it now.

so here are my questions:
1. Have any of the LM out there ran it with 4 to 5 (lvl 2) player-heroes?
2. If so, did you modify the adventure or run it as is?
3. If you ran it as is, were they players able to complete the quest without all dying?

If you have any suggestions on the best way to adjust this or if you think I'm not thinking highly enough of my players, suggestions, comments, and opinions are welcomed.

-Wanton

Wbweather

Re: Spoilers: LoreMaster Only!: of Leaves & stewed hobbit

Post by Wbweather » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:12 am

I have run this twice using AME and about 5 times with TOR rules. Both times were with level one characters. This was the adventure we demoed at Gencon this year. We used the pregens from the book which were all level one characters. One thing it might require is a little tweaking of the Night wight. The first time I ran it, the wight was pretty devastating. The second time, the players avoided the wight by looking for a better place to make camp. The battle of the ring fort can be scaled back a little too. Reduce the number of enemies and waves of enemies. Se how they handle the first couple of waves and then adjust what you send at them. It should be a difficult fight, but not impossible.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

I've only run it in TOR, but my players also avoided the Wight and "succeeded" at the adventure (by having the Hobbit Treasure Hunter as the only one who went in for the rescue). I pretty much ran things by the book, though I probably erred in deference to the PC if anything was questionable, being as it was pretty hairy and he was all alone surrounded by so many Goblins.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:13 am

Thank you both for responding.

With Wbweather, I am assuming that you actually had six heroes and not just four or five, but I think I see the gist of what you are saying and I think I will have to scale back a little. In the past I have brought in some NPC to help, but some of the players seem to resent the help.

With majestic, if they avoid fighting this would be a big help and I could see this working if the TH got pretty lucky.

Thanks, you've encouraged me to give it a shot. However, if you could each tell me if you six heroes, this would help my analysis.

Again a big thank you for respond.

-Wanton

Wanton

Post by Wanton » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Wanton wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:13 am
Thank you both for responding.

With Wbweather, I am assuming that you actually had six heroes and not just four or five, but I think I see the gist of what you are saying and I think I will have to scale back a little. In the past I have brought in some NPC to help, but some of the players seem to resent the help.

With majestic, if they avoid fighting this would be a big help and I could see this working if the TH got pretty lucky.

Thanks, you've encouraged me to give it a shot. However, if you could each tell me if you six heroes, this would help my analysis.

Again a big thank you for responding.

-Wanton

Wbweather

Post by Wbweather » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:52 pm

I ran the AME version once with 4 players and once with 6. I think the key is to scale the battles back to the size of your group. With the wight, if they are struggling, you can always reduce the hit points or have it flee the battle (perhaps the sunrise scares him away?)

I also tend to hold back on some of the special abilities (I can't remember them all off the top of my head) with some of the big bads, unless the players are doing especially well and need a bit more of a challenge.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Yeah, it's certainly worth remembering that the Night-wight is Craven.
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:10 pm

I had only four players for this one, and it was the PC's fourth adventure.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

EdricWild

Post by EdricWild » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:34 am

Ran this yesterday. Complete disaster. My first TPK in more than 25 years. :(

I think, because they saw defeating Ubhurz was the key to winning the battle at the ringfort, my players decided that defeating the Chief Goblin was the key to defeating the goblins in the caves. I would even have given them that if they'd pulled it off, but the encounter was far beyond their 2nd level abilities. I tried, repeatedly, to warn them through an NPC (I'd given them one of the caravan guards to help) but they didn't listen.

Very much not happy about this.

steerpike65

Post by steerpike65 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 am

Ouch!

Good to know. I am just about to finish off Don't Leave the Path and move onto this. That is assuming I dont have a TPK at the end of DLtP! As there are also two scenes in that adventure that are potentially beyond the party's capability.

Sounds like I will have to be very careful. My group can be braver than common sense would dictate too.

Thanks for sharing. Hope you can move on from this with new PCs and lessons helpfully learned by the players about the deadliness of multiple foes, however weak on their own.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” – Mark Twain