I ran Eaves of Mirkwood last night.

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
BookBarbarian

I ran Eaves of Mirkwood last night.

Post by BookBarbarian » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:26 pm

So after more than a year of trying to get my friends to play AiME, I finally got 3 of them to play on Saturday night. We ran through Eaves of Mirkwood, and the whole thing took right about 3 hours.

We used the premade characters Trotter, Beran, and the Bride. I also had an NPC warrior in the party to help round it out to 4 players. Hopefully I'll drop him out when we get a few friends to join in future games.

Big hits of the night were the Journey Rules, drinking and feasting with the dwarves, and *mild spoiler* meeting a certain wandering wizard.

Things that weren't such a big hit, the party blew their final audience role with Gailivara. This made her seem unreasonable with to one of the players, and I thought we might end up with at least one character gaining some shadow points.

But combat saved the day! In the last fight, Trotter and the NPC Warrior ended up dropping to 0 HP, but due to the Bride dishing out extra damage and more importantly taking half damage while in a fury, and , and Beran giving her all his warden's gift dice the heroes prevailed.

Overall the game was a big hit. We've planned on starting into Wilderland Adventures on Friday.

Otaku-sempai

Re: I ran Eaves of Mirkwood last night.

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Congratulations! I'm glad your players want to continue.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Great start to things, Book! Keep us posted on how things go! 8-)
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm

Also, here are somethings I learned along the way.

My biggest mistake of the night came during the Journey phase. Players encountered a downed bridge, and the adventure says they can get across without ill effect through a survival or Athletics check.

When my player's started thinking up approaches that would have made more sense as different checks, I was too tied to what the adventure said rather than just doing my job as the Loremaster and deciding what kind of check to call for. It was the only time the adventure got bogged down, as I shot down approach after approach as "not-right" according to what I was getting out of the text. In the future I'll take that bit of text as guidelines rather than exclusive approaches to success.

A more minor "mistake" was using the character creation rules to stat up the Warrior NPC, I forgot he had the great weapon fighting style, and even if I had remembered, I might have run the risk of making the players feel I was overshadowing their characters. I should have just grabbed a good NPC statblock from the Loremaster's guide and saved myself the trouble.

zedturtle

Post by zedturtle » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Those sound like solvable problems,especially since you're aware of the issues... especially the second one. As a wise person once told me about something similar, if you're aware of the potential for it to get out of hand then you're aware enough that it probably won't (or at least your slip-ups will be able to be fixed).
Jacob Rodgers, occasional nitwit.

This space intentionally blank.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Getting too 'stuck' on what we think the proper approach is (whether in a published adventure, or what we have created ourselves) is an easy mistake to make.

And I think your advice is a good lesson for us all. Perhaps someone (whether new or a veteran GM) will read what you wrote and be reminded that it is a skill to be flexible as a LM/GM, and that it can sometimes be a good thing to reward clever players for their creativity and thinking outside the box.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Majestic wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:27 pm
a good thing to reward clever players for their creativity and thinking outside the box.
Yes! This is a great way of putting it. It's exactly what I want to do going forward.

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:29 pm

I'm planning on running this adventure (first time LMing) , but with full embarkation/journey event/arrival rolls etc. I'll probably have Gailavira's farmstead somewhere near the western entrance of the elf-path.

I don't have Wilderland Adventures yet, so I'm not sure what to do after that. The goal will be to get to Esga Roth eventually. Any suggestions for a follow-up adventure?

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:58 pm

quincypostman wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:29 pm
I'm planning on running this adventure (first time LMing) , but with full embarkation/journey event/arrival rolls etc. I'll probably have Gailavira's farmstead somewhere near the western entrance of the elf-path.

I don't have Wilderland Adventures yet, so I'm not sure what to do after that. The goal will be to get to Esga Roth eventually. Any suggestions for a follow-up adventure?
I went right into Don't Leave the Path, as Wilderland Adventures was the only other book I had. I might consider converting some adventures to AiME, like the Marsh Bell. but it would be less work for me to just keep going the Wilderland and play more AiME adventures as they come out.

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:12 am

I've watched a couple of twitch sessions running WA's, Don't Leave the Path, & Stewed Hobbits... these seem to be East to West adventures so far. The practical part of me sees no sense in having the players take the dangerous trip through the Mirkwood, only to be told to turn around and head back. As I don't know all the WA stories, maybe I can do all the Anduin valley stories and reverse don't leave the parh? First I guess I'll need to get WA's.