Learning a New Language or Tool Proficiency

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

Learning a New Language or Tool Proficiency

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:47 am

I do not know if the AiMe Loremaster's Guide includes any guidance on acquiring new proficiencies. If not then we could do something like this:
Learning a New Language or New Tool Proficiency
You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools. Your LM might allow additional training options.

First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The LM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required.

The training lasts for one year-end Fellowship phase and costs 6g. Optionally, the training may take place over two or more short Fellowship phases totaling a minimum of three months at a cost of 10s per week. After you spend the requisite amount of time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.
This same formula could be used for employing an animal trainer with an appropriate ability (Horsemanship; Falconry; etc.) to train an animal companion for a specific task. If you (the Hero) has +3 or more in the skill Animal Handling and has the appropriate ability then you may attempt the training yourself.

Learning a new tool proficiency or training animals would probably require one or more Craft checks. For TOR the Hero for whom the creature is being trained should be required to pay a cost in Experience.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Re: Learning a New Language or Tool Proficiency

Post by Majestic » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:38 pm

This is a good idea, provided the GM keeps things balanced and doesn't just allow a player to gain tons of proficiencies as a way of circumventing the normal rules (I'm sure most GMs would be careful).

I always liked how West End Games Star Wars d6 did things, where one PC could train another. Of course this takes time, and the trainer has to be of a much higher level, but it does make sense that it could be done.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Majestic wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:38 pm
This is a good idea, provided the GM keeps things balanced and doesn't just allow a player to gain tons of proficiencies as a way of circumventing the normal rules (I'm sure most GMs would be careful).

I always liked how West End Games Star Wars d6 did things, where one PC could train another. Of course this takes time, and the trainer has to be of a much higher level, but it does make sense that it could be done.
Thanks, I based my idea on how such training is approached in D&D 5e, just making some adjustments such as shortening training time to accommodate Fellowship phases and adjusting the costs for the Middle-earth setting.

I played West End's Star Wars rpg back in the day, but we never got into the rules for PCs training other PCs. They remind me of how we approached the subject in our AD&D games.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm

I think it looks like a great idea. I already use the options to gain Open and Cultural Virtues during fellowship phases, so It would be silly for me to let a Player get Expertise in a skill during a fellowship phase but not proficiency.

In fact I may apply your rule to Virtues undertakings too.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm
I think it looks like a great idea. I already use the options to gain Open and Cultural Virtues during fellowship phases, so It would be silly for me to let a Player get Expertise in a skill during a fellowship phase but not proficiency.

In fact I may apply your rule to Virtues undertakings too.
Thanks. I'm not sure, though, that we need to re-invent the wheel for Virtues undertakings. What don't you like about the current procedure for acquiring new Virtues?

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 pm

BookBarbarian wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm
SNIP
I already use the options to gain Open and Cultural Virtues during fellowship phases.
MORE SNIP
Where would I find the rules for this optional rule. It sounds like something I would like to look into.
MrUkpyr

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:54 pm

MrUkpyr wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 pm
Where would I find the rules for this optional rule. It sounds like something I would like to look into.
MrUkpyr
Gain an Open Virtue and Gain a Cultural Virtue undertakings are on page 153 of the Loremaster's Guide.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm

MrUkpyr wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 pm
MrUkpyr
I thought that BookBarbarian was referring to page 100 in the AiMe Player's Guide:
Virtues are special gifts and talents, usually associated with a particular culture. All members of a Mannish culture start with a single virtue: choose one from the list related to your character’s Culture, or from the list of Open Virtues, which are available to every culture. Elves, Dwarves and Hobbits do not receive a starting Virtue.
All Player-heroes may choose to gain a virtue instead of improving their ability scores at 4th, 8th, 12th 16th and 19th levels.
I was mistaken. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the Loremaster's Guide. Another option would be to ask your LM to allow you to adopt a D&D Feat in place of a Virtue, subject to his approval of the Feat.

MrUkpyr

Post by MrUkpyr » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm
SNIP
I was mistaken. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the Loremaster's Guide. Another option would be to ask your LM to allow you to adopt a D&D Feat in place of a Virtue, subject to his approval of the Feat.
*chuckles*
I am the LM, and am rather new to AiME, TOR, and 5E.
LOTS of experience in D&D and other RP games (Pendragon, Traveller, Call of Cthulhu, Metamorphosis Alpha, MERP, others).