AME & TOR combat equivalents

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Paid a bod yn dwp

Re: AME & TOR combat equivalents

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:40 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:49 pm
Well, Intimidate is a skill for AiMe. And a Charisma test (Performance) might be used to try to rally your companions.

The Slayer path: The Rider can acquire the ability Intimidating Presence that can be used while mounted. The Rider ability Horn Wildly Blowing is used to inspire allies.

The Warden expression Herald also has two relevant abilities: Break Resolve to intimidate foes; and An End Worthy of Song to rally comrades.

A Warrior with the archetype Weaponmaster may take the ability Birthright; when your weapon gains the quality Infamous it can strike fear into certain foes.

The Dúnedain Cultural Virtue of Royalty Revealed can have a positive effect on your allies and also frighten your foes.

The Men of Minas Tirith Virtue Onward into Battle can benefit your companions.
To add to this the Warden Expressions also includes under "Discourse" the possibility of intimidating a foe to stand down. Herald also has songs of slaying which can benefit all allies attacks rolls within 30ft. An appropriate gift for a fellowship.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:29 pm

I converted my TOR game over to AME, so it meant trying to find some mechanics just like this. In our TOR game, one of the Elves is a High Elf Minstrel that commonly used songs to rally her comrades.

So when I converted things, I just cribbed the 5E Feat 'Inspiring Leader', and changed it to work based on her Performance (i.e., Song) instead. Inspiring Leader reads:

Inspiring Leader
Prerequisite: Charisma 13 or higher

You can spend 10 minutes inspiring your companions, shoring up their resolve to fight. When you do so, choose up to six friendly creatures (which can include yourself) within 30 feet of you who can see or hear you and who can understand you.
◾ Each creature can gain temporary hit points equal to your level + your Charisma modifier.
◾ A creature can't gain temporary hit points from this feat again until it has finished a short or long rest.

So this character typically will sing at some point (perhaps walking along the road), which reinforces the bonds of Fellowship and gives a few temporary Hit Points to each of her companions.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 pm

After reading through this thread, it's got me to wondering. I wonder if I should change her ability, to instead give each member of the Fellowship Inspiration instead.

I typically use the variant where I start each session with every PC having Inspiration, so she would have to wait to use her Minstrel gifts if I changed it in this way.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:18 pm

Majestic wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:35 pm
After reading through this thread, it's got me to wondering. I wonder if I should change her ability, to instead give each member of the Fellowship Inspiration instead.
Both versions of the feat you mentioned seem fitting to me. I haven't read what the Lore Masters Guide says about "inspiration" yet, but it really fits the Hope feel of TOR. Equally the feat you mentioned and its temporary hit points, suggests very well the bolstering & increased resolve of a fellowship. I think either of those options are good options to add more of the flavour of the fellowship pool from TOR.

Of note some of the Wardens class abilities use song to inspire allies. In particular the 15th level An End Worthy of Song has a similar inspiring effect to the feat you mentioned.