AME & TOR combat equivalents

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Paid a bod yn dwp

AME & TOR combat equivalents

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:15 am

Is there an equivalent in AME for the TOR combat actions of "Rally Troupes", and "intimidate"?
Do these come under special class abilities/virtues in AME?

Otaku-sempai

Re: AME & TOR combat equivalents

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:49 pm

Well, Intimidate is a skill for AiMe. And a Charisma test (Performance) might be used to try to rally your companions.

The Slayer path: The Rider can acquire the ability Intimidating Presence that can be used while mounted. The Rider ability Horn Wildly Blowing is used to inspire allies.

The Warden expression Herald also has two relevant abilities: Break Resolve to intimidate foes; and An End Worthy of Song to rally comrades.

A Warrior with the archetype Weaponmaster may take the ability Birthright; when your weapon gains the quality Infamous it can strike fear into certain foes.

The Dúnedain Cultural Virtue of Royalty Revealed can have a positive effect on your allies and also frighten your foes.

The Men of Minas Tirith Virtue Onward into Battle can benefit your companions.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Duplicate post
Last edited by Paid a bod yn dwp on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks - that's really helpful.

I've been flicking through the rules in AME, but it takes a while to familiarise yourself with the separate class abilities and virtues etc.

I really like the flavour and tone set by TOR, and found it very evocative of the books, and was curious to see how that could be emphasised in AME...quite like the idea of charisma checks, and intimidate rolls in appropriate combat situations.

Wonder if there is more advice given in the loreMasters guide on these aspects which are evocative of the encounters in LOTR?

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:48 pm

Paid a bod yn dwp wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:37 pm
Thanks - that's really helpful.

Wonder if there is more advice given in the loreMasters guide on these aspects which are evocative of the encounters in LOTR?
You are most welcome, though others might have even more helpful advice. I can't help you with the LM's Guide; I don't have it either.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:53 pm

It strikes me that the inspiration mechanic could also be a good way of invoking an aspect like "rally troupes" perhaps in conjunction with a charisma roll?
Not sure is RAW allows for sharing an inspiration with your fellowship, but it seems a very Tolkien use of the inspiration mechanic. Perhaps it balances out with the risk of loosing the inspiration should the player in question fail his/her charisma roll?

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:30 pm

Using Inspiration
If you have inspiration, you can expend it when you make an attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. Spending your inspiration gives you advantage on that roll.

Additionally, if you have inspiration, you can reward another player for good roleplaying, clever thinking, or simply doing something exciting in the game. When another player character does something that really contributes to the story in a fun and interesting way, you can give up your inspiration to give that character inspiration.
That seems pretty straightforward. If you make a Charisma check (either Intimidation or Performance) and you have inspiration, you can expend it to gain advantage on that roll. And inspiration can be passed on to another player-hero if you have a good reason to do so.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:30 pm

That seems pretty straightforward. If you make a Charisma check (either Intimidation or Performance) and you have inspiration, you can expend it to gain advantage on that roll. And inspiration can be passed on to another player-hero if you have a good reason to do so.
Great. Yes I was just trying to find reference to that in the AME players guide.

So two possibilities:

1.To do a TOR style "Rally Commrades" action, which under TOR would require a inspire, or song roll to give a benefit to the endurance score of other players. Under AME a player could perform song( performance skill roll) or perhaps a charisma check. Inspiration could be used to give advantage to the check. Perhaps the outcome of a successful charisma rallying test in AME would be to give "advantage" in place of extra hit points/endurance? Following through it seems like a potentially very powerful tool, perhaps one that would fit a class ability/virtue with limited use better.

2. Inspiration can be gifted to another player through awards of clever action, story driven ,good use of roleplay - What this doesn't account for is gifting inspiration to multiple players, as in a fellowship. Still gifting an inspiration to another player does have a strong Tolkien thematic to it.

The idea of being able to gift inspiration to other players speaks to me of the excellent TOR fellowship pool of hope points. Something that I feel needs to find an equivalent in AME to be truly evocative of Tolkien's fellowship. I suppose gifting inspiration (when you have it) to other members of your fellowship is the nearest equivalent to this.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 pm

The Inspiration rules are in the SRD-OGL document for D&D 5e.

Of course if you are attempting to rally your comrades with a song or stirring speech, I would assume you already have a friendly audience. Would that have any effect--i.e. granting advantage--even without spending inspiration?

Come to think of it, inspiring your companions to rally might actually be a Charisma (Persuasion) check, rather than using the Performance skill.
Persuasion.
When you attempt to influence someone or a group of people with tact, social graces, or good nature, the DM might ask you to make a Charisma (Persuasion) check. Typically, you use persuasion when acting in good faith, to foster friendships, make cordial requests, or exhibit proper etiquette. Examples of persuading others include convincing a chamberlain to let your party see the king, negotiating peace between warring tribes, or inspiring a crowd of townsfolk.

Paid a bod yn dwp

Post by Paid a bod yn dwp » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 pm
The Inspiration rules are in the SRD-OGL document for D&D 5e.

Of course if you are attempting to rally your comrades with a song or stirring speech, I would assume you already have a friendly audience. Would that have any effect--i.e. granting advantage--even without spending inspiration?
Good point. If this fits with how the story has been evolving then maybe a advantage could be granted without recourse to inspiration, though I could see other factors such as blighted land, shadow points effecting this negatively.

Speaking of "inspiring" themes in AME, I see that inspiration theme is also worked appropriately into the Warrior Archetype, Stalwart knight :

1.Mark of Honour gives the option of "inspiration" taken from the players charge. I like the idea of charge being either a person, place, or task.
2.Knights Strike, uses "inspiration" to attack with added fury

Interestingly there is also an option for "officer" to distribute D'6s (Command dice)to fellow knights soldiers of your shared liege/lord, which can be used to add to rolls for either ability, attack, or damage dice. This is the closest thing I've seen yet in AME to the idea of shared group "inspiration", and the TOR idea of a fellowship pool of hope points to draw from.