A background for a character I want to roleplay...

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Tolkien_Nerd

A background for a character I want to roleplay...

Post by Tolkien_Nerd » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:19 am

Grinor, son of Grinn and Hona was born in 2865 of the Third Age in the Blue Mountains. His father and mother were survivors from the takeover of Erebor by Smaug in 2770. The smell of ashes and the heat of fire caused his father, who was an established smith in day’s bygone, to give up the art of blacksmithing and turned to soldiery in service to the refugees that headed west. His mother was a credible shaper of wood and was of great help in reestablishing the Dwarven kingdom in the Blue Mountains.

He took up the call of the soldier and was trained as his father was, standing many a post. His demeanor was ever serious, and he was soon given the nickname Grinor the Grim. The use of shield, spear, sword, and axe were his only pursuits during this time and he would prove to be sufficiently proficient with nearly all weapons in the armory. After two decades, Grinor would be free to pursue his own interests and he found solace in the act of wood carving like his mother.

By the time he was turning 75 years of age, Grinor had lived in contentment, but then the endeavor to reclaim the lost kingdom of Erebor was sent out. His heart leapt at the chance, but his mind planted seeds of doubt and fear. In the end, he chose to stay, but a part of him wished he hadn’t.

When word of Smaug’s death reached all the way westward in 2941 TA, the whole of the mountain was alive with excitement and joy. His father died, but not unhappily, not a few months later followed by his mother less than two years afterwards. Following their deaths he took up the hammer and anvil as a smithy’s apprentice.

That was when the call from Dale reached the very limits of all civilizations, the message arrived at the beginning of spring in 2946. A call for aid it was, asking those who wished to do their part had been delivered. A herald of King Bard was the messenger and the date was the anniversary of the death of Smaug, the first of November, when a celebration of no other likeness would commence on that very week!

In this moment Grinor hesitated not! He leapt at the chance, wishing to head east, see the lands of his parent’s births, and to find inspiration for his final works. He spoke to those who had travelled beyond the borders of the Blue Mountains, and gathered what he deemed necessary for his journey.

For the next several days Grinor brought his affairs in order; the house was given over to his master’s son as recompense for his apprenticeship and he sold what he needed to make up for any other preparations.

As a final act he had arranged for a small farewell at the nearest pub, calling on the few he felt would attend. When he entered the establishment, a quiet fell over the people, many more than who he called on. Sad smiles were on all their faces save for a noteworthy handful, for these few knew that this journey brought a light into Grinor’s life. For a brief moment, the grim countenance of his face was lifted; raven’s feet pulled at the corners of his eyes, and the line of his mouth turned upward.

He broke out his flute of personal make, an adaptation of more slight and thinner types. It was wider at the openings body, allowing for fuller more heavy notes to escape and measured in length as long as fingertips to elbow. Small silver-like metal fittings and rings adorned it, and the wood was dark and smooth with beautiful whorls. Grinor had never played for anyone save himself, although more than a handful had heard the unknown melodies sneak from the cracks of his door and windows. Its voice was the heavy sound of a slow moving wind through the forest’s hollows and the deepness of mountain caves. He played a multi-faceted tune, one that touched on the significant events of his life. Silence met the final note, then a thunderous applause, at which time he stowed the instrument and gave a low bow to hide a smile.

The rest of the evening was loud, celebratory, and would be remembered for years by those who attended as a most joyful one. Then the deep still of the night creeped over them and exhaustion coupled with dreams of floors awash with mead flooded their minds.

A short rest after a long evening of mead and talk coupled with the excitement of the road ensured the grizzled dwarf awoke in time for his final checks. His travelling bag was packed; attached to one of the numerous loops on his pack was his shield, useful at times when the reach of his spear no longer kept an enemy at bay. Carefully protected was a long and sturdy box with the handmade Dwarven flute of wood and metal fittings. A brown furred cloak covered his armor at the shoulders, and the hood had a wide opening to accommodate his head when helmeted. At his waist wrapped a wide belt with his sword firmly affixed. Partnered to the sword were a few leather pouches to hold a small sum of monies and other small items that would fit.

Grinor eyed his reforged spear; the wide blade glinted when the torchlight flickered. The exposed handle was smooth and unadorned save for a small, carefully engraved stylized image of the Lonely Mountains near the bottom. A newly oiled leather strap protected it near the middle, carefully wrapped and secured.

His map, unfolded and partially unfilled, showed the way. He would begin at the northern-most part of the southern range of the Blue Mountains and head northeast following a trade route until he reached where North-South and East-West Roads crossed. Following the East Road would bring him to his first stop, Hobbiton and then onto Bree, where he could restock and take rest before journeying ever eastward and northward to Dale and Erebor! They were now halfway through spring, and it would take more than a cycle of the moon to get to Bree. Perhaps he could gain passage onboard wagon or perhaps travel in company, something he never would have considered a handful of years prior. For now though, he would have to do with having himself as company.

With a wistful look around, Grinor reached down and untied a leather cover, oiled heavily within to protect the metal from any moisture, and covered the top of his spear. He tied the cover loosely to allow for quick removal, stowed the map, shouldered his pack, trod outside the door… with a brief glimpse, a swift brush of finger across eye, he cradled his helmet in the crook of his arm and strode towards the exit of the Blue Mountains…
Last edited by Tolkien_Nerd on Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Otaku-sempai

Re: A background for a character I want to roleplay...

Post by Otaku-sempai » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Your background is very long and involved for a Hero starting out--not that there's anything wrong with that. Although by placing his birth before the coming of Smaug to Erebor you have made him exceptionally old to be a novice (suggested starting age: 50 to 100 years). Grinor should probably be closer to Gimli's age (born: 2879) or even younger. That would also mean he was probably born in the Ered Luin as were Gimli, Fili and Kili.

The Dwarves of the southern Blue Mountains very probably do have a route that goes north to the Great East Road, even if the road is not well-known enough to appear on most maps. Just assume that it follows the mountains north to pass between the Grey Havens and the Tower Hills until it reaches the East Road. I realize that there are no passes shown on the ridge extending eastwards from the southern range. I placed a Dwarf-city I named Hargrod ('South Delving') on the northern side of where that ridge begins; you are welcome to use that as Ginor's starting point if you want to. South of the ridge (I've been calling it the Emyn Romen or 'Hills of Sunrise') there might indeed be a path that leads to Sarn Ford.

Of course, that's all part of the background and has already been accomplished by the time that Grinor actually starts his adventuring career.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Tolkien_Nerd

Post by Tolkien_Nerd » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:13 am

Adjustments on first page.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:27 pm

Interesting that you didn't have Grinor and his mother migrate to Lonely Mountain with what would have been the first wave of returnees in the spring of 2942 so that the mother could have died in Erebor. Perhaps she was too ill to make the journey? That would explain why Grinor remains in the Blue Mountains for a few more years. He's a good son!

If you really want to work out Grinor's journey to Bree, we can do that (assuming he is on foot):

From the Mines of the Dwarves to Bree
He would begin at the northern-most part of the southern range of the Blue Mountains and head northeast following a trade route until he reached where North-South and East-West Roads crossed. Following the East Road would bring him to his first stop, Hobbiton and then onto Bree, where he could restock and take rest before journeying ever eastward and northward to Dale and Erebor!

This represents the most direct route that the Dwarf Grinor could take from his home in the southern Blue Mountains to Bree, with his ultimate goal to reach his ancestral home of Erebor.

First leg: From the Blue Mountains to Hobbiton (Wild Land, Border Land, Free land)

If Grinor decided to proceed alone then he would have probably supplied himself for the journey over the Misty Mountains as he might not have even known about Rivendell and could not plan on finding welcome there. I expect he would have purchased at least one pack-animal and, if he could afford it, a pony to ride.
Fifty miles along Dwarf-path to Great East Road, one hundred twenty miles on road to Hobbiton (6 days).
Fatigue Tests: 1 (Spring)

Second leg: From Hobbiton to Bree ((Free lands)
One hundred seventy miles along the Great East Road (5 days).
Fatigue Tests: 1 (Spring)

If Grinor decided to continue on from Bree alone then he would have wanted to resupply for the crossing of the Misty Mountains as there is a good chance that he wouldn't know about the hidden valley of Rivendell or how to find it. He would have needed a pack-animal and, if he could afford it, Grinor might have even purchased a pony to ride.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Tolkien_Nerd

Post by Tolkien_Nerd » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:56 am

Well, I never defined her age, which I decided was pretty far along. Couple with the grief of a dead husband, she may not have felt right leaving. But that is all part of the fun of not defining the reason why. It does lend itself well to why Grinor stayed behind in the Blue Mountains, and continued to comfort and eventually care for her as she faded.

Exactly how I figured it in regards to stopping in Bree. I definitely don't see him knowing the location of Rivendell so he would not figure to stop there. I have him involved in a small adventure on another board, and I mentioned he lost his pony and packmule while traversing the Old Forest Road. He is currently held in the grips of spider's webs, and is attempting to free himself. We shall see how that happens.

Thanks for your insight and help!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:53 pm

It sounds as though Grinor might be a little too prideful and/or headstrong for his one good, and now he is suffering for it. ;) I'm sure that once he crossed the Misty Mountains there were Beornings or Woodmen who could have advised him (if he bothered to ask) that the Old Forest Road was impassible at the eastern end* and he would have been better off taking the route that passes between the Grey Mountains and the Forest. Did he even attempt to find a larger group of travelers that he could join?

* It would have to be years yet, in game time, before any attempt to restore the old Dwarf-road through Mirkwood could be seriously begun.

Tolkien_Nerd

Post by Tolkien_Nerd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:24 am

Ugh, I should have been more clear. He lost his beasts while traversing the road on his way back, of which he is currently in an adventure.

His way east to Erebor was never fully fleshed out and I planned on having him accompany merchant/caravan eastward. Although I did mention him having tasted the honey cakes from the Beornings. So he has definitely been around the Carrock, perhaps he gotnsome assistance from that point. Still undecided though!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:45 pm

I see. Sorry that I misunderstood you. Well, you've already gone into Grinor's backstory in far more detail than most would for their Heroes. No need to dwell more on that unless you are writing a fan-fic around him. :lol:

I'm curious. In your original conception of Grinor and his parents, did you consider their activities during the War of the Dwarves and Orcs (2793-99). Remember, Durin's Folk under Thror were dwelling in Dunland when the king was killed by Azog in 2790; Thrain did not lead them to the Blue Mountains until 2802, three years after the Battle of Azanulbizar.

Halbarad

Post by Halbarad » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:54 am

Nice background TN. A little more involved than my own but yours makes for better reading. I’m playing Hafdal the Barding in that adventure. My character (Regnald) in the TOR campaign (on the same forum) has a similar level of background but since I’m a newbie to AiME, I just wanted to get going quickly.

I look forward to your joining our Fellowship. (We’re on the Elf Path btw, not the Old Forest Road.)🙂

Tolkien_Nerd

Post by Tolkien_Nerd » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:45 pm
I see. Sorry that I misunderstood you. Well, you've already gone into Grinor's backstory in far more detail than most would for their Heroes. No need to dwell more on that unless you are writing a fan-fic around him. :lol:

I'm curious. In your original conception of Grinor and his parents, did you consider their activities during the War of the Dwarves and Orcs (2793-99). Remember, Durin's Folk under Thror were dwelling in Dunland when the king was killed by Azog in 2790; Thrain did not lead them to the Blue Mountains until 2802, three years after the Battle of Azanulbizar.
Oh wow, I actually did not consider Azanulbizar. Even now I need to consider it. It would lend some support to how/why Grinor's father went soldier and stayed soldier. Thanks for that, something for me to consider if I decide to flesh him out a bit. Who knows I may concoct a fan-fic for this guy lol