The Forest Dragon

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Otaku-sempai

Re: The Forest Dragon

Post by Otaku-sempai » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:48 pm

Majestic wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 pm
I think you might be swapping the abilities for the two dragons. I don't have my TOR copy of Tales from Wilderland with me (I only own the hard copy of that one and it's at home), but my AME conversion, Wilderland Adventures, says that Raenar the Cold Drake has the mesmerize spell and the Forest Dragon (p. 99 of The Darkening of Mirkwood) says that her Dreadful Spells "force one companion who is within her baleful gaze to make a Corruption check against TN 14."

Your versions are both helpful and useful. Thanks for all the insight!
I'm using the spell names and descriptions in the Dragon-spell entry from TOR's Erebor book.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:50 pm

I've made a few changes. Removed some mistakes, like the ability of the dragon to Fly, took away things like her blindsight, and added a few other minor things (like the History skill, plus giving her advantage on Stealth ability checks while in Mirkwood). I toned down the Baleful Gaze significantly as well, as I thought it was too punishing the way I had it.

I expect that AME dragons won't generally have Frightful Presence, but I feel this shouldn't hinder the PCs that much, and makes sense for dragons to be this imposing.

BTW, the stuff I underline is to make things easier during play for me, as it allows me to quickly (at a glance) spot a creature's offensive capabilities.

The Forest Dragon
AC: 21/19; +11, 2d10+6 P (bite, 10’), 2d8+6 B + restrained (tail, 10’; escape DC 16); Ini: +6
Multiattack: Can use Frightful Presence, then 1x bite and 1x tail
40’ (includes swim), darkvision: 60’; PP: 22
STR 22 (+6) DEX 22 (+6) CON 20 (+5) INT 18 (+4) WIS 15 (+2) CHA 16 (+3)
Saves: STR +6, DEX +6, CON +10, INT +4, WIS +7, CHA +8
Deception +8, History +9, Insight +7, Perception +12, Persuasion +8, Stealth +11
Draconic Resistance (Recharge 6): As reaction, after failing saving throw, may automatically succeed instead.
Resistance: 1/day; if it fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
ACTIONS
Frightful Presence: Anyone aware of her within 120’ must make a DC 16 WIS save or become frightened for 1 minute; save can be repeated at end of its turns, ending effect on a success (then immune for 24 hours)
Mirkwood Dweller: AC +2 when fighting inside Mirkwood Forest; advantage on Stealth ability checks there.
Thick Hide: When critical fumble (1) with melee attack, attacker drops their weapon and must end their turn.
Weak Spot: History or Nature DC 15 to know about dragon weak spots; action, DC 20 Perception to spot (soft belly); critical range can be expanded (+1 for each character participating) by intentional maneuvers to expose; also, once known, anyone can choose to target the weak spot: -5 penalty to attack, +10 to damage.
LEGENDARY ACTIONS
3 total (regained at start of its turn); one at a time at end of another creature’s turn.
Baleful Gaze: One seen creature within 120’ must make a DC 15 Corruption save or gain 1 Shadow and be paralyzed until the end of the dragon’s next turn; save can be repeated at end of its turns; rolling a 1 on any save means the creature is frozen in place (petrified), success on save makes one immune for 24 hours.
Detect: Makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Tail Strike: All within 10’ reach must make DC 19 Dexterity save or take 2d6+6 B and be knocked prone.
Hit Points: 218

Frightened
• Has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight.
• Can’t willingly move closer to the source of its fear.

Incapacitated
• Can’t take actions or reactions.

Paralyzed
• Incapacitated (see the condition) and can’t move or speak.
• Automatically fails STR and DEX saves.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.
• Any attack that hits the creature is a critical hit if the attacker is within 5’.

Prone
• Only movement option is to crawl, unless it stands up and thereby ends the condition.
• Has disadvantage on attack rolls.
• An attack roll against the creature has advantage if within 5’; otherwise, at disadvantage.

Restrained
• Speed becomes 0, and it can’t benefit from any bonus to its speed.
• Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s attack rolls have disadvantage.
• Has disadvantage on DEX saves.
• Action to escape; Athletics or Acrobatics contested by dragon’s Athletics (+6).
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:08 pm

By the way, since Wilderland Adventures has been out for a while now, was the stat block for the Cold-drake Raenar (Scourge of the North) helpful to you?

The spells for both Raenar and the Forest Dragon have the phrase 'baleful gaze' in them, so that is not very useful for naming them. In Tales from Wilderland Raenar's Dragon-spell isn't given a specific name, but its description matches up with Baleful Gaze from page 75 of Erebor: The Lonely Mountain. Similarly, the description of the Dragon-spell of the Forest Dragon lines up with the spell named Mesmerize in Erebor. From your description, it seems as though the names might have been swapped for AiMe.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:49 am

Good points, O-s, and yes, thanks to the good help and insight you provided me here, it ended up sending me to Wilderland Adventures and Raenar, so that I could compare the various spells. It helped me greatly in honing things even more, as well as comparing the TOR versions of both dragons.

Also, one minor tweak to the final version: I realized during play that I had contradictory information: those restrained by the tail either had an Escape DC (of 16) or what I had written in the last line under 'Restrained': contesting the dragon with her rolling at +6; I ended up going with the latter.

I just got done with the fight and it was epic! Probably around 7 full turns of fighting, which took just over an hour to play through. They ended up defeating her, and it was a great and thrilling contest! 8-)
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Congratulations on a successful outcome!