The Forest Dragon

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Majestic

The Forest Dragon

Post by Majestic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 pm

As one gets deeper into The Darkening of Mirkwood, eventually the PCs will likely encounter the Forest Dragon. My PCs probably will within the next couple of years, so I went ahead and made a conversion myself, even though I know we'll eventually get one from C7.

I modeled some of the basics on a 5E Adult Green Dragon.

Note that I use a lot of shorthanded abbreviations for myself, but most should be pretty obvious (PP is passive Perception, for example). I underline everything offensive (for attack), to make it easier to use at the table.

The Forest Dragon
AC: 19/21; +11, 2d10+6 P (bite, 10’), 2d8+6 B + restrained (tail); Ini: +1
Multiattack: Can use Frightful Presence, then 1x bite and 1x tail
40’ (includes swim), Fly 80’; blindsight: 60’, darkvision: 120’; PP: 22
Saves: STR +6, DEX +6, CON +10, INT +4, WIS +7, CHA +8
Deception +8, Insight +7, Perception +12, Persuasion +8, Stealth +6
ACTIONS
Frightful Presence: Each creature of her choice within 120’ and aware of her must make a DC 16 Wisdom save or become frightened for 1 minute; save can be repeated at end of its turns, ending effect on a success; once saved against or effect ended, immune for 24 hours.
Mirkwood Dweller: AC +2 when fighting inside Mirkwood Forest.
Thick Hide: When an attacker gets a critical fumble (rolls a 1), they drop their weapon and must use an entire turn recovering it.
Weak Spot: History or Nature DC 15 to know about dragon weak spots; action, PC 20 to spot (soft belly); critical range for characters can be expanded (+1 for each character participating) by intentional maneuvers to expose; once known, anyone can choose to target the weak spot: -5 penalty to attack, +10 to damage.
LEGENDARY ACTIONS
3 total (regained at start of its turn); one at a time at end of another creature’s turn.
Baleful Gaze: One seen creature within 120’ must make a DC 15 Corruption save or gain 1 Shadow and be paralyzed; save can be repeated at end of its turns; rolling a 1 on any save means the creature is frozen in place (petrified).
Detect: Makes a Wisdom (Perception) check.
Tail Strike: All within 10’ reach must make DC 19 Dexterity save or take 2d6+6 B and be knocked prone.
Hit Points: 218
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Gilrohir Arncelevon

Re: The Forest Dragon

Post by Gilrohir Arncelevon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:49 pm

I may just be having an off morning, but I can't find the hit points in your stat block?

Gilrohir Arncelevon

Post by Gilrohir Arncelevon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Oops - just found them right at the bottom......durrrr!! :o)

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:45 pm

Nice, I wonder what would be his final challenge rating :)

I have one question though:
Majestic wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 pm
Thick Hide: When an attacker gets a critical fumble (rolls a 1), they drop their weapon and must use an entire turn recovering it.
I suppose that this effect is triggered only by melee attacks?
Also it's recovering time (entire turn) is awfully long. Given the fact that in 5 ed you can interact with one item per turn for free - including picking up dropped weapon (see sidebar on p. 190 PHB) an action would be more than enough (IMHO recovering weapon in the middle of combat is more time consuming than free action).
Alternatively, to be more in line with 5 ed rules, you may change this effect to fit the description of "Drop" effect of Command Spell: The target drops whatever it is holding (in that case a weapon) and ends its turn.
Recovering it would be free action in next turn, but ending turn when a player rolls 1 on attack roll can be quite debilitating, especially when its first of many attacks in that turn, or player had some bonus actions available.

Tolkien_Nerd

Post by Tolkien_Nerd » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 am

I was considering a wingless Dragon like some of the ones of old for a campaign I am working on. Maybe a dragon with a den beneath the Mirkwood Mountains or perhaps beneath the expanse of Dol Guldur.

I have to say good job on your dragon creation!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Tolkien_Nerd wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:59 am
I was considering a wingless Dragon like some of the ones of old for a campaign I am working on. Maybe a dragon with a den beneath the Mirkwood Mountains or perhaps beneath the expanse of Dol Guldur.

I have to say good job on your dragon creation!
The Forest Dragon is indeed described in TOR as "a Long-worm, a Wingless Dragon of the line of Scatha". She has no breath-weapon (Long-worms typically seem to lack any breath attack), but does possess Dreadful Spells (Dragon-spell Mesmerize). Her lair is said to be a cave somewhere in the heart of Northern Mirkwood. That places it north of the Elf-path and not very near to the Mountains of Mirkwood. There is a chance that any Viglundings who still dwell in Northern Mirkwood might know the location of the Forest Dragon's lair, though her hoard might be on the smallish side (estimated at some 250 Treasure, or a bit over 250 gold pieces in total). The Forest Dragon's Dreadful Spell (Dragon Spell: Mesmerize) makes up for her lack of a breath-weapon. From Erebor for TOR:
Mesmerise
Those who get an extraordinary success shake off the spell and may act normally. A great success means the character is frozen and unable to act for one round. Those who merely succeed are frozen for another three rounds. Those who fail are frozen indefinitely, locked into their stiffened flesh like living statues until they die of thirst.
I'm assuming that mechanically for AiMe this might work in a similar manner to an Adult Dragon's Frightful Presence in D&D 5e (using the Adult Green Dragon as a template). I don't know how you feel about the idea of a critical failure on a saving throw, but it seems appropriate in this instance:

Dragon-spell: Mesmerize. Each creature of the Dragon’s choice that is within 120 feet of the Dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or become paralyzed for up to four rounds. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the Dragon’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours. Special: Those who fail with a roll of '1' on a d20 are frozen indefinitely, locked into their stiffened flesh like living statues until they die of thirst. Perhaps the healing powers of a Wizard might lift the spell; slaying the Dragon will also free the victim.

The above is for an Adult Dragon. If the Dragon is in the age category of Old then the Wisdom save must succeed at DC 19.

Here is another Dragon-spell conversion:

Dragon-spell: Baleful Gaze. Each creature of the Dragon’s choice, up to a number equal to the Dragon's number of hit dice, that is within 120 feet of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw (DC 19 if the dragon is Old) or fall under the effect of its baleful gaze. Affected companions cannot attack the Dragon for a number of rounds equal to 10 minus their Wisdom bonus. If used during an encounter, companions put under the Dragon-spell feel compelled to answer truthfully to questions for the duration of the encounter.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:47 am

Majestic wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 pm
As one gets deeper into The Darkening of Mirkwood, eventually the PCs will likely encounter the Forest Dragon. My PCs probably will within the next couple of years, so I went ahead and made a conversion myself, even though I know we'll eventually get one from C7.

I modeled some of the basics on a 5E Adult Green Dragon.
I apologize for not addressing your original post first. I've already brought up some related issues above that concern it.

I do not know if the Dragons for AiMe will have the ability Frightful Presence, though one alternative might be to convert it to a Dragon-spell.

I also don't know if AiMe's Dragons will possess Legendary Actions. However, if if this is so, we might consider (based on the example of Frightful Presence) that spell-like abilities should not be included in that category.

The Dragon-spell Mesmerize actually describes the Forest Dragon's Dreadful Spell ability. Baleful Gaze is a different Dragon-spell that can be cast by the Cold-drake Raenar (Tales from Wilderland). I hope you find my versions in the above post enjoyable.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:24 pm

Lots of good stuff here, and yes, my idea for the roll of a 1 would be only for melee attacks (good catch!). My reason for being so harsh with it (requiring so much time) was an attempt to mimic what happens in TOR due to the dragon's Thick Hide.
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Mim

Post by Mim » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Agreed! There are some excellent ideas on this thread.