Transitioning from Eaves of Mirkwood to Adventures in Wilderland

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Dirk89stensrud

Transitioning from Eaves of Mirkwood to Adventures in Wilderland

Post by Dirk89stensrud » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:29 pm

I have both of the PDF's and I would love to merge them into one. What are some suggestions for merging the two?

Scarytincan

Re: Transitioning from Eaves of Mirkwood to Adventures in Wilderland

Post by Scarytincan » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 pm

I'm actually in the exact same boat, about to start the campaign tomorrow.

Naturally spoilers ahead for those concerned...

What I was thinking of doing was either having Gandalf part ways somewhere along the way, if not foregoing meeting him at that point altogether since he seems just kinda tacked on, although he could help with the journey, explaining away why there are no encounters between the two adventures.

As to the actual transition itself, I've been considering having the company come upon the first encounter of WA as they are nearing their destination of Dale to answer the summons of the proclamation, and having their arrival be just a day or two after the first day of the month (when tasks are officially assigned and rewarded).

Could maybe have the first quest be rewarded the following first of the month, saying the thugs were the ones who originally accepted the consignment, but the party fulfilled or whatever. Or whenever they next visit Dale with a letter of task completion from Baldor.

After spending a full long (if uneventful) journey, I will likely let the party enter dale to resupply and rest for one night /week before setting out with Baldor...

Would love to hear other ideas also!

namkcor

Post by namkcor » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:14 am

Basically you can either do a mini fellowship phase when they encounter Gandelf for the "break" which is only a day long fellowship. Then they do the journey to Lake town through mirkwood with Gandelf in tow (he's on his way to talk to King Bard about important stuff). Or you just do a fellowship phase passing through mirkwood unmolested because of Gandelf and the group stops at lake town for the party (lake town is also celebrating The Battle of Five Armies).

For most part Gandelf shouldn't be involved in any of the Journey checks unless absolutely needed (he prefers to watch these new travelers to see what they are made of; and will intervene or advise when needed); he will stop the party from camping in bad areas (this prevents from failed checks from occurring). He will tell stories of Mirkwood's past or some other stories. If theres combat then hes facing off some enemies on his own and will finish them off when the group finishes theirs or he knows of a route to escape the enemies if it turns bad. This travel could be a potential chance of making Gandelf a patron if they do well (though it maybe too early to benefit from it right now till they do more good deeds); or he knows more about the groups path then he lets on.

I did the short fellowship phase but prevented fellowship tasks because its so short but gave them the benefits of a long rest. I simply had Gandelf play the part of Gandelf the Conjurer and not Gandelf the Gray (of course people knew the truth ooc; but I played off his "conjuration" with impressive slight of hand tricks, and tossed in some minor magical moments such as him blowing an animated smoke dragon). The group had one really bad encounter if they didn't run away (they got the servent of shadow result and almost ran into Tulhag the Hunter (Named Spider the size of a RL Elephant) while he wasn't actively hunting); but Gandelf told them they needed to flee and hide. Their checks weren't good enough but Gandelf did a trick and Tulhag couldn't track them (which is almost near impossible for lvl 1-2 to get away).

Katowice

Post by Katowice » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm

One thing that bothers me about "Eaves of Mirkwood" and "Wilderland Adventures" is that none of the adventures in their set-up seem to follow through on the promise of King Bard's declaration, the ending of which reads:

"Make haste to Lake-town. On the first day of each month my advisors and I will appoint tasks to the willing, and disperse rewards to those who bring their tasks to completion. And they shall be celebrated, for they are the heroes of our age."

So, starting out my players are going to expect there to be "work" from Lake-town. Also, this seems to be at odds with the overall campaign style where it's not about gaining treasure and wealth.

How have other Lore Masters handled this in their campaigns? (even in TOR)

EdricWild

Post by EdricWild » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Katowice wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm
So, starting out my players are going to expect there to be "work" from Lake-town. Also, this seems to be at odds with the overall campaign style where it's not about gaining treasure and wealth.

Well, this Lore Master handled it by ignoring it entirely. I left King Bard's declaration out. I ran Eaves of Mirkwood in place of Don't Leave the Path and changed the hook so that the party was traveling to a Woodsman Folk-Moot instead of Laketown. I also left out the encounter with the wizard, planning to slip that in later - probably at the end of Kinstrife & Dark Tidings, but we never got that far.

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Katowice wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm
One thing that bothers me about "Eaves of Mirkwood" and "Wilderland Adventures" is that none of the adventures in their set-up seem to follow through on the promise of King Bard's declaration, the ending of which reads:

"Make haste to Lake-town. On the first day of each month my advisors and I will appoint tasks to the willing, and disperse rewards to those who bring their tasks to completion. And they shall be celebrated, for they are the heroes of our age."

It never really came up in my game, as my PCs never went to Lake-town looking for said "work".
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:55 am

I'm thinking of transitioning from EoM to WA by having an Envoy from Dale stationed at one of the woodmen towns and giving tasks from there. Either that, or having a trading post up near the western entrance to the elven road, and placing the envoy there.

QP

M Luwin

Post by M Luwin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:48 am

quincypostman wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:55 am
Either that, or having a trading post up near the western entrance to the elven road, and placing the envoy there.

QP
The Easterly Inn is now set up there and that is one of the adventures as well. I was thinking of having my company go look for the Hobbit who is coming back with supplies but is long over due. Now if you are in Lake town you can run the Marsh Bell and/ or Robin Smallburrow's Dragon Ring adventure before going with Don’t Leave the Path. Cheers

quincypostman

Post by quincypostman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 am

Where in the Anduin vale is the Easterly Inn located?

M Luwin

Post by M Luwin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 pm

North of Beorn's Hall and South of the Elf's Gate. Not that far from the latter but really you can set it up where it makes sense for your campaign. Cheers