Journey Peril Rating and terrain majority

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Anarfin

Journey Peril Rating and terrain majority

Post by Anarfin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:39 am

Hi, I am new on this forum, so I use creating of a new topic as an opportunity to say hi to everyone :)
Your interesting discussions and questions regarding rules and ideas but most importantly about mood and flavour of this setting are very inspiring to me.

And now, to the point.

I find a rule to determining Peril Rating of a Journey on a page 165 of Player's Guide a little bit odd.
It states, that "Whichever type of terrain forms majority of hexes passed through by the proposed route determines the overall terrain type."

I took quick glance on the map and it stroked me that according to this rule, a journey from Rivendell to Beorn's House has terrain difficulty of 1 (3 hexes of Moderate terrain, 5 hexes of Daunting terrain and 10 hexes of Easy terrain)
A journey that leads heroes via one of the most dangerous terrains in that part of Wilderlands, through one of the treacherous mountain passes of the Misty Mountains, has terrain difficulty 1...

I have not run any adventures in Middle-earth yet, but I wonder if any of the more experienced Loremasters noticed such issues, calculating terrain difficulties in other parts of Wilderlands?

How do you deal with them?
I have few ideas (most obvious is summing up values of terrain types on journey path and dividing it by the number of it types), but I'd like to hear your opinion about this issue.
Last edited by Anarfin on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otaku-sempai

Re: Journey Peril Rating and terrain majority

Post by Otaku-sempai » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:15 pm

I would suggest either a) divide the Journey into two smaller legs, with the second beginning after the company passes through the Misty Mountains; or, b) arbitrarily ignoring RAW to determine Hazards separately for the passage.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Majestic

Post by Majestic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm

I came up with different numbers than you did (figuring that you'd have to make the crossing of the Misty Mountains at the High Pass. Doing the most direct route, I came up with 6 Easy Terrain (1), then 5 Daunting (5), followed by 5 Moderate (2).

Even my way has the majority of the trip at the easier terrain (between 1 and 2). So what I'd do is average things out. 11 of the 16 hexes traveled are Easy or Moderate, and that makes up about 2/3 of the entire Journey (almost 69%), but the rest is very tough (the High Pass). I ended up coming up with an average of 2.5, so I would simply round things up to 3 and call the Peril Rating a 3.

You wouldn't be wrong by using the RAW, though, and going with the majority of the terrain covered being a 1 (or even a 2).
Adventure Summaries of our campaign, currently playing through The Darkening of Mirkwood

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Majestic wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm
Doing the most direct route,
Fair point, I forgot that Anduin is semi-traversable at Carrock and made my way through Old Ford. Paradoxically that "improved" terrain rating making Easy terrain a majority ;)
Majestic wrote:
I came up with 6 Easy Terrain (1), then 5 Daunting (5), followed by 5 Moderate (2).
You're right, but I am pretty sure that from Rivendell to High Pass are 3 hexes of Moderate terrain (i am not counting one "starting hex" - in that case Rivendell).
Majestic wrote:
Even my way has the majority of the trip at the easier terrain (between 1 and 2). So what I'd do is average things out. 11 of the 16 hexes traveled are Easy or Moderate, and that makes up about 2/3 of the entire Journey (almost 69%), but the rest is very tough (the High Pass). I ended up coming up with an average of 2.5, so I would simply round things up to 3 and call the Peril Rating a 3.
Taking average of the crossed terrain is a good idea, I will probably do the same. Peril Rating 3 is ok, and I can always add one more challenge (for traversing entire Daunting terrain) with higher DC to make traversing Misty Mountains more challenging, like it wast presented in the books.
Last edited by Anarfin on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:02 pm

Majestic wrote:
I came up with different numbers than you did (figuring that you'd have to make the crossing of the Misty Mountains at the High Pass. Doing the most direct route, I came up with 6 Easy Terrain (1), then 5 Daunting (5), followed by 5 Moderate (2).
I'm not sure how you derive those numbers. Anarfin outlines the most logical route to use:

Journey: Rivendell to Beorn's House
A journey that brings the company from the Last Homely House to Beorn's house on the other side of the Misty Mountains, going across the Old Ford. Divide the journey into three legs:

- First leg: to the High Pass (Border Land): Thirty miles (3 hexes) across rugged terrain.

- Second leg: across the High Pass (Wild Land): Sixty miles (6 hexes) across mountain path.

- Third leg: to Beorn's house (Border Land, Free Land): Sixty miles (6 hexes) on road to the Old Ford, forty miles (4 hexes) across open terrain to Beorn's house.

I see that you are cutting cross-country to reach Beorn's House from the High Pass (6 hexes, Easy terrain), but I don't see how you get the rest of your numbers. However, you are correct that by dividing the journey into shorter legs, the Peril rating can be increased.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:02 pm
- Second leg: across the High Pass (Wild Land): 6 hexes, Daunting terrain.
Actually you can traverse High Pass taking only 5 hexes of Daunting terrain and leaving the pass by entering northern “easy” hex above the road.

I took path through the Old Ford as an easier and most obvious way for heroes. I would certainly add some event ("An Obstacle"?) for any attempt to traverse Anduin at Carrock.

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm

Anarfin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 pm
Actually you can traverse High Pass taking only 5 hexes of Daunting terrain and leaving the pass by entering northern “easy” hex above the road.
Technically, yes. But I would assume that the Mountain path would take travelers directly to the road. Would you really want to stray from the path (unless you have a good reason) even so near to the eastern end?

Anarfin

Post by Anarfin » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Otaku-sempai wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 pm
But I would assume that the Mountain path would take travelers directly to the road. Would you really want to stray from the path (unless you have a good reason) even so near to the eastern end?
As a matter of fact, on a map road is on both “easy” hexes east of High Pass :)

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Anarfin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:36 pm
As a matter of fact, on a map road is on both “easy” hexes east of High Pass :)
Okay, though I could argue that that's a bit of a cheat as the road is still well below the upper hex at the east end of the actual pass. :geek:

What's a few miles between friends?

ThrorII

Post by ThrorII » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:32 am

And THAT's why I assign Peril per journey leg, not per total journey.

A jaunt from Rivendell to Beorn's house? Well, roll for the number of Events. Then place the Events in Regions as you choose on the journey. The Peril will be determined by that Regions Difficulty number.