Storytelling vs Rolling dice

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Southron

Storytelling vs Rolling dice

Post by Southron » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:07 am

We are playing a game based off of a story. In the tale things happen as the Professor planned them. In the game things such as the encounter expectations/interactions are there to give targets to dice rolls.

Save for combat, where the roll of the die is generally a given, how do you play between creating an entertaining tale and a game where bad rolls can create missing some interesting situations that could enhance the tale?

Robin Smallburrow

Re: Storytelling vs Rolling dice

Post by Robin Smallburrow » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:48 am

In my campaign, the Story comes first! So I will ignore a dice roll result if it makes no sense, or (as I see it) penalises a player unfairly. The important thing is that I have made this clear to my players as a 'House Rule":

"I will allow a reroll on a failed check if I think it makes sense storywise. The story takes precedence!" AND "if you have failed narrowly at something, I will sometimes allow a success (but with complications), whatever I think suits the story." AND " I reserve the right to ignore a dice roll that makes no sense."

The important thing is that as LM you are consistent and the players are aware of it.

Robin S.
To access all my links for my TOR Resources - please click on this link >> http://bit.ly/1gjXkCo

Southron

Post by Southron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:05 am

Thak you for your response.
Last edited by Southron on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

BookBarbarian

Post by BookBarbarian » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:12 pm

My way of doing it is I only call for dice roles if the outcome of a players approach and goal are uncertain and failure would be interesting, have an important effect on the party, or in some other way affect the story we are creating together.

So if my player says their character flaps their arms really fast in an attempt to fly away I'm not going to say "Roll for it" I'm going to say that the character failed. (extreme example I know)

Likewise if the player has their character check under a rug for treasure I'm not going to call for a roll. if there is treasure under the rug and they look under it, they find it.

I don't really worry about ignoring dice rolls this way.

farinal

Post by farinal » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:36 pm

I don't think it makes much sense to ignore or forge dice results. Why roll the dice if you are going to ignore it anyways? If you think a certain result on the die will affect your campaign and story so much that you need to ignore that result, best is not to make such a dice roll available at the first place. All failed dice rolls doesn't need to result with death.
Of Finarfin's children I am the last. But my heart is still proud. What wrong did the golden house of Finarfin do that I should ask the pardon of the Valar, or be content with an isle in the sea whose native land was Aman the Blessed? Here I am mightier.