New to AiME- Please help me understand lvl 3 "Rider" ability!

The place for discussion of Cubicle 7 and Sophisticated Games' "Adventures in Middle-earth" OGL setting.
Jon Hodgson

Re: New to AiME- Please help me understand lvl 3 "Rider" ability!

Post by Jon Hodgson » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm

Zedturtle answers have been thorough and well researched. There's no need for any further input - the designers I've spoken to agree his answers are entirely accurate.

For the record, you can't summon our staff to threads with PMs - everyone has many daily tasks to accomplish, and we decide how to use our time the most effectively. Zedturtle is firmly part of the development team for AME. He didn't design directly rules for the Player's Guide, but has worked with us extensively since then, and his interpretations are well worth paying close attention to.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!

Otaku-sempai

Post by Otaku-sempai » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm
Zedturtle answers have been thorough and well researched. There's no need for any further input - the designers I've spoken to agree his answers are entirely accurate.

For the record, you can't summon our staff to threads with PMs - everyone has many daily tasks to accomplish, and we decide how to use our time the most effectively. Zedturtle is firmly part of the development team for AME. He didn't design directly rules for the Player's Guide, but has worked with us extensively since then, and his interpretations are well worth paying close attention to.
Thanks, Jon. I tend to forget that Jacob has become involved in the game development. A bit of what he has stated still sounds 'off' to me, but that's what makes horse races (so to speak). A lot of that has to do with how vague the rules are in the SRD-OGL. And for the record, no one (as far as I am aware) tried to 'summon' any of the staff; I did ask for a second opinion, but that was purely a request that I knew might be denied. No hard feelings.

Now, if I finally have this right then Majestic's first reply, back at the beginning of this discussion, was correct: if a Slayer/Rider with Mounted Combat directs his controlled mount to Dash then the Rider gets his normal action (which may or may not require him to dismount) which might be Attack, plus a bonus Attack.

I still contend, however, that a mount and its rider cannot both perform a Dash in the same round unless the rider first dismounts (or performs a Dash to the beast, mounts, and then has the animal Dash).
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he."

Eldwyn

Post by Eldwyn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:23 pm

Jon Hodgson wrote:

Right, so just to be crystal clear, the 2nd sentence should change from "If you take the Dash action you may make an attack as a bonus action." to something like "while mounted, if your mount takes the dash action, you may make an attack as a Bonus Action"

As to your second paragraph, I'm not sure if that was referring to me or someone else in this thread. I think a simple "Zedturtle is on the team, sorry we can't respond to every question!" would suffice. Having worked in the gaming industry, and now in IT consulting... customer service goes a long way. Many of us here have spent a lot of money on this game, and invest a lot of time. This rule is just damn unclear, and there doesn't seem to be any official way of getting clarification! Judging from the responses here, I am not the only one who was unclear. Not trying to be a munchkin or a pain in anyone's butt, just trying to play the character according to the rules :)

Thanks all!

Jon Hodgson

Post by Jon Hodgson » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:41 am

Eldwyn wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:23 pm
Jon Hodgson wrote:

Right, so just to be crystal clear, the 2nd sentence should change from "If you take the Dash action you may make an attack as a bonus action." to something like "while mounted, if your mount takes the dash action, you may make an attack as a Bonus Action"

As to your second paragraph, I'm not sure if that was referring to me or someone else in this thread. I think a simple "Zedturtle is on the team, sorry we can't respond to every question!" would suffice. Having worked in the gaming industry, and now in IT consulting... customer service goes a long way. Many of us here have spent a lot of money on this game, and invest a lot of time. This rule is just damn unclear, and there doesn't seem to be any official way of getting clarification! Judging from the responses here, I am not the only one who was unclear. Not trying to be a munchkin or a pain in anyone's butt, just trying to play the character according to the rules :)

Thanks all!
My apologies for being unclear there. The second paragraph was aimed squarely at anyone sending us PMs to summon us to threads. The question has been well answered by Zedturtle, who has tried repeatedly to make himself understood, had invested plenty of time in the thread, and is absolutely a member of the design team.
Jon Hodgson
Creative Director, Cubicle 7
Like us on Facebook!